Author Topic: Housley family Greasley/Newthorpe 1800's  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Housley family Greasley/Newthorpe 1800's
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 July 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
SUNFLOWER AND OTHERS CONCERNED - Yes I know a bit more about the Housely's as they were always, Newthorpe, Notts people, I did think my granddad's parent's were Josesph and sarah as she was known, but it came up earlier somewhere as William and Ann so I thought I had got it wrong as there was a William and Ann it would possibly be a brother, there were so many boys, brothers and cousins in the Housley family, such a large family, was so confusing .........My grandfather was a younger brother and my father the youngest so that makes these people so much older or even passed on when I was born so I did not have that much contact with them, very private people who did not care much for children hanging around, to them, children were seen and not heard were always busy working, a right scary lot.........

My grandmother's family were the mystery, I could never fathom things out......I knew somewhere along the line the maternal side of her family came from Scotland, possibly through work and then down to Yorkshire, did not know about Wakefield or Normanton, but was led to believe that grandmother Florence came from Ilkeston and Aunty Grace was conceived whilst she was in Service at the Bradshaw's farm in Strelley, they were all gentlemen farmers, quite well off and were my grandfather's mother's side of the family, he was working there as well and was persuaded to marry her, which made me think that a Bradshaw had probably made her pregnant and wanted it all hush, hush.........But it seems she already had Aunty Grace when she went to work there, so who does Aunty Grace belong to ?......
Now all this information has thrown a different light on the matter I thought it was my grandmother's mother Elizabeth who was the one of 15 children and grandmother Florence was one of 6 and from Ilkeston, that is the mystery and why was grandfather Housley paid to marry her and take on aunty Grace ?..........All so complicated and no-one to ask.........I am also interested to find out about Elizabeth Bloor who married Robert Toplis as I think her own mother's maiden name was Bradshaw who married a Bloor, also originally from Scotland and maybe there was some connection with the Housley family through this, was that why grandmother Florence was sent to work for them ? - Oh the intrigue.........The census do not go back that far so I will have to do some delving through the Parish Church Registers - I will not give up, have only just started working on it, still having teething problems........I have really found out a lot about my grandmother's family though, through yourselves and I am very grateful to you both - will still keep  working on it...
Thankyou so much the both of you, for all your help, much appreciated.......Libralady...

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
SUNFLOWER AND OTHERS CONCERNED - Yes I know a bit more about the Housely's as they were always, Newthorpe, Notts people, I did think my granddad's parent's were Josesph and sarah as she was known, but it came up earlier somewhere as William and Ann so I thought I had got it wrong as there was a William and Ann it would possibly be a brother, there were so many boys, brothers and cousins in the Housley family, such a large family, was so confusing ........

My grandmother's family, Toplis's were the mystery, I could never fathom things out......I knew somewhere along the line the maternal side of her family came from Scotland, possibly through work and then down to Yorkshire, did not know about Wakefield or Normanton, but was led to believe that grandmother Florence came from Ilkeston, was one of 6 children and she was in Service at the Bradshaw's farm in Strelley............libralady

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 11:51 BST (UK) »

[/quote]

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Yes William and Ann maybe are his parents, thought there was  Joe and Sarah ?......heard the names mentioned........Sounds like the Normanton entry is correct as Grace was born around 1910 ?........
Having trouble getting into these sites, only just joined and am having teething problems......found 3 Ann Bradshaws and 3 William Bradshaws, but I do not know the whereabouts exactly that they came from originally.....so will have to call it a day.............Many thanks to you.....Libralady

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW - will try,
Joseph my granddad died around late 60's early 70's maybe I think at Strelley Notts and grandmother was taken to Cloverlands Nursing Home, Nuthall, Notts afterwards, I think she may have died in 1973/74 time......Grandad birthday in April and grandmother in November...
Grace was born in 1910? when Florence was single, Jim in 1915? - Tom in 1917 - Joe 1921 (my dad)........
I think my great grandfather may have been called Joseph Housley as well, born in Newthorpe area...Libralady,

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Yes William and Ann could his parents, thought it was Joe and Sarah though......heard the names mentioned........Sounds like the Normanton entry is correct as Grace was born around 1910?........
Having trouble getting into these sites, only just joined and am having teething problems......found 3 Ann Bradshaws and 3 William Bradshaws, but I do not know the whereabouts exactly that they came from originally.....so will have to call it a day.............Many thanks to you.....Libralady

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 12:00 BST (UK) »

[/quote]

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
Okay, need to get the certificate.......Grandmother Florence Housley nee Topliss was a servant at Strelley Farm, Strelley, Nottingham, owned by the Bradshaws, my granddad's relatives..........I am trying to find out more about the people who owned this place, but unfortunately do not have enough information about the families on both sides to find out, everybody in the know are deceased, but would not give away any info anyway.........a lot of births seem to have different dates as well as I am sure Grace was born August 24th 1909/10, marriage and deaths dates are correct though...........well thanks CaroleW, was worth a try......Libralady

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW - will try,
Joseph my granddad died around late 60's maybe 1969 I think at Strelley Notts and grandmother was taken to Cloverlands Nursing Home, Nuthall, Notts afterwards, I think she may have died in 1973/74 time......Grandad birthday in April and grandmother in November...
Grace was born in 1910? when Florence was single, Jim in 1915? - Tom in 1917 - Joe 1921 (my dad)........
I think my great grandfather may have been called Joseph Housley as well, born in Newthorpe area...Libralady,