Author Topic: Redruth/Gwennap/St Day PRs and another pair of eyes?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Redruth/Gwennap/St Day PRs and another pair of eyes?
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 23:32 BST (UK) »
There are several branches of my tree that don't contain my own research. Cousins have focused on particular surnames and I left them to it. Now, I'm visiting their research and trying to verify it.

I've hit a little bit of confusion, however.

This is what we know-
My 4th great grandfather, William RICHARDS, appears on census (1861 Gwennap) as being married to a woman by name of Catherine (Kitty) c1828 St Enoder- which would be his second marriage. They have mutual children on census- Joseph 1853, Mary J 1855 and Catherine 1857. Children are St Day.
The marriage of William to Kitty was never found, nor was her surname ever determined. Three of the children- Joseph, Mary Jane and Amelia (b.1861) were christened in 1861, St Day, but Catherine Jr was not. I speculated that she might have been christened at birth if she was sickly, but I haven't found a christening yet.

William dies in 1865 and I had a note that Kitty did as well.

Now I suspect differently. I checked Kitty's death and couldn't find it, or the children on the next census, but did find a Catherine PEACOCK 1828 Blue Anchor, Cornwall (which is practically St Enoder) living in Yorkshire with Mary J, Catherine and Amelia RICHARDS. Joseph was in the same village in his own household. Catherine RICHARDS nee PAUL married James PEACOCK in 1867, Yorkshire, with her father's name William. There are five RICHARDS nee PAUL(L) children in Redruth RD- Joseph Elisha 1852, Mary Ann 1854, Catherine 1857, Ellen 1859 and Amelia 1861. I cannot, however, determine what happened to Ellen, Mary's middle name is wrong and I've seen no other mention of "Elisha".

The next issue is that there is not a christening for the right time and place for a Catherine PAUL dau of William. There is, however, a Kezia PAUL dau of William. I did find a marriage, 1851 Redruth RD, where two of the names on the list were William RICHARDS and Kezia PAUL- but did they marry each other?

I've never heard of Kezia and Catherine being used interchangably and neither has anyone I asked. That doesn't necessarily mean anything of course, she might have changed names for other reasons.

I'm wondering if anyone with a sharper brain than I've got right now can see a christening for Catherine Jr, a fate for Ellen or any record that shows whether or not William and Kezia married each other- I've looked on Cornwall OPC and can't see any result on there for that marriage whatsoever. I'm hoping to untangle it a bit without spending money on certs as yet. With the varied expertise on this site, I thought it worth asking in case anyone had access to the PRs in case I'm wasting my time (and potentially money).

Thanks
Ayashi

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Redruth/Gwennap/St Day PRs and another pair of eyes?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
you can access an amount of parish record images for Cornwall via FamilySearch

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kg5/ 

There may be another William & Catherine Richards around. I can see a marriage 2 Nov 1851 in Gwennap for William Richards, widower, living at Crofthandy and Catherine Perry of St Day.

I think Ellen Richards born 1859 may belong to a different couple. There's a James & Catherine Richards in Phillack with a 2 year old daughter called Ellen RG9/1586 folio 77 pg 53 and a possible marriage James Richards dec qtr 1857 Redruth vol 5c pg 450 with Catherine Berriman Paul on the same page.
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=2491372
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes, William Richards to Catherine Perry is a different couple. I found them on census to eliminate them. His father was named Philip and he cannot be the same William as mine (as William son of Philip is considerably younger)- which goes to show that one piece of information can change everything because if that had been left out the rest would have fitted!

Thank you for the finding of Ellen. Of course there had to be a cuckoo in my nest  ::)

Also thank you for the FamilySearch link. I've used it before for Northumberland records and it is just what I needed. Now to hunt down where in Redruth RD Kezia PAUL got married  ::)

Regards
Ayashi

~Edit- well, I can now tell you several places they DIDN'T marry...  :( Oddly, with the exception of one couple claimed by a family, I can't see any other reference to the marriages of any of the people on that page. Looking at GRO births is suggestive of link-ups though. If they married in Redruth itself, the PRs aren't on familysearch images for that year. Starting to wish I'd never looked at this family  ::)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
working from the marriages page, I can find William Dunstan with wife Elizabeth in Gwennap in 1861 RG9/1578 folio 5 pg 3, 3 sons William, John & James whose birth regs have mother's maiden name of Repper.

Caroline Carr Orchard was baptised 14 Nov 1824 in Redruth and is in Cheshunt with husband William Rosewarne in 1871 RG10/137 folio 34 pg 7, the Rosewarnes appear to be a family of gun makers.

A Joseph Trewartha witnessed the marriage of Joseph Michell and Elizabeth Trewartha 7 May 1848 in St Day, possible burial in St Day 25 Feb 1855 for Joseph aged 39.
There is a marriage announcement in the Cornish Telegraph for Thomas Jennings of Ludgvan and Mrs Sarah Trewartha of Carharrack, Gwennap 6 March 1856. They married in the registry office in Penzance.

After all that, just found the announcement - 5 July 1851 at Redruth, Mr Wm. Rickard to Miss Kezia Paull as well as the Dunstan-Repper marriage and the Trewartha-Michell one.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
Ah, you star! Thank you. I've got at least a working theory here then, albeit a slightly odd one. I had hoped to find the marriage of William to Catherine as the marriage between William and Persis was before 1837. In theory I know what his father's name is, although I wanted the marriage to prove the link between William and his supposed father which makes that a bit shaky ground! Hopefully witnesses might be useful.

I think I'm at the point where I can submit this one for familial scrutiny.

Thanks again!
Ayashi