Author Topic: Marriage of James Johnston and Margaret Jane Groves 1820-1821  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marriage of James Johnston and Margaret Jane Groves 1820-1821
« on: Monday 24 July 17 03:36 BST (UK) »
My James baptised his eldest three children in Magherafelt First Presbyterian between 1821-1824 . So thinking his marriage would be about 1820, perhaps even 1819. However, Magherafelt doesn't have marriages in that time frame. Is it possible the marriage is in Castle Dawson?
James was born 1798 and his parents were John and Anna.  Any idea where to look for his baptism? James' death record says he was born Co. Antrim but I now think that is incorrect.Or John and Anna's marriage, perhaps between 1786 and 1798. John was born about 1765 and Anna about 1767. Thanks for any help.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of James Johnston and Margaret Jane Groves 1820-1821
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Marriages usually take place in the bride's church so 1st Magherafelt may have been James' church but the marriage took place elsewhere (another Presbyterian Church or even her Parish- Church of Ireland- one depending what denomination the bride was). However, in this case the church records don't do back to cover the period they were married so the ceremony could have taken place there. Circa 1820 is rather early for church records and if you do find records there will be minimal details shown. For a marriage usually just date, bride and groom and for a baptism date of baptism, child's name and father (sometimes mother or townland but not usually both).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 08:50 BST (UK) »
Just realised this is the THIRD topic you've started for this family  ::)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=134127.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=134473.0

No need to start new topic, just add to existing one if you have more questions or information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey, for including the links to previous postings. I discovered an old reply there which will probably help me immensely in my search. I know that James was in Londonderry 1821-1824 as he baptised children there. I did not know that until very recently. So making progress. I have ordered the mentioned Family History microfilm which will take 3-6 weeks to come. I am so hoping to see my Johnston relatives on there.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland