Author Topic: Surrey Summer ASSIZES 1828  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Surrey Summer ASSIZES 1828
« on: Monday 24 July 17 06:06 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone would happen to have access to Surrey Assizes -  are they as informative as the "Old Bailey"?
If so I have a few people I wouldn't mind looked at if possible
HORATIO COLLINS alias James tried July 1828 , also his wife MARY COLLINS alias James.
I know they Horatio was convicted with Thomas and William Turner, Mary was acquitted. hoping there's a more detailed report.

Horatio Collins/James was earlier acquitted in Surrey 1824 with George James and William Baker, Horatio was acquitted
detailed report of the trial would be great.

Regards
Karen

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surrey Summer ASSIZES 1828
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 08:03 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Assize Calendar record, it looks to me as though the Turners were the subject of separate charges (to do with burglary at Kingston).

Horatio James alias Collins, wife Mary and David West were charged with breaking and entering the house of John Puttock at Cranley (Cranleigh) and stealing various articles, and also with the theft of a bell from  William Hannam. Mary James and David West were acquitted.

Prison records show that Horatio Collins /James was aged 19 and born Oxford.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
There's another thread ...posting link to avoid further duplication http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=775369.9
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
Shaun J,
             Thank You.. That other link was from me-  which was very helpful, and my reason for coming here in the hope someone had access to the Surrey assizes.

You've been very helpful though, Thank you