Author Topic: Rees family from Milford, Steynton, Haverfordwest.  (Read 3929 times)

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rees family from Milford, Steynton, Haverfordwest.
« on: Monday 24 July 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Am trying to find any births, marriages, deaths for the Rees(e) family from Milford.

I have found the marriage of Thomas Rees & Martha Williams 05/11/1804 in Steynton, Pembrokeshire. He was a labourer. Martha died in 1842 & Thomas in 1846 both in Milford, Steynton.

I have only been able to trace, (possibly) two of their children: David, a mariner/stoker, born 08/12/1805, who married??, (I have been unable to trace a marriage), a Mary Ann Cornish before 1841. She originated from Southwark, London.

Thomas & Martha's may also have had, (at least), one other son: John, (born c1807),a coachman, who married Hester/Esther. John & Esther/Hester had at least one child, John, born c1835. Esther also appears in 1851 widowed,with a daughter, Martha, aged 2 months (unsure if this is John's daughter as I think he may have been deceased by 1841). I have been unable to trace John & Esther/Hester's marriage.

I have been looking for any other children of Thomas & Martha for some years with no joy so it would be really great if I could trace them now. I would also like to confirm that John was a son of theirs and, if so, when he was born.   

David & Mary Ann Cornish had a daughter, Hannah, (as well as a daughter, Martha, born & died in 1844 & a son Samuel Benjamin, born 1845), who is recorded as aged 8 in the 1851 census. I can find no birth details for her nor can I trace any further information about her. Where did she disappear to??

Hester/Esther & daughter, Martha, also disappear after the 1851 census.

Am looking for any births/deaths/marriages that might give me some answers to my queries. My great-great grandfather, Samuel Benjamin Rees, was born 17/09/1845 to David Rees and Mary Ann Cornish. He went on to become a Baptist Minister so maybe the rest of the family were also Baptists??.   

If you are unable to help are there any genealogists in the area that you could recommend?

Regards

Coreen

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Rees family from Milford, Steynton, Haverfordwest.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
So we have some idea of when they were born

Which of these is Martha's death  :-\
REES, MARTHA       age 72     1842  March  Quarter in HAVERFORDWEST  Volume 26  Page 462
REES, MARTHA       age 64     1842  S Quarter in HAVERFORDWEST  Volume 26  Page 400

Presumably this is Thomas
REES, THOMAS       age 77     1846  Dec Quarter in HAVERFORDWEST  Volume 26  Page 466
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,

Martha died 17/09/1842, aged 64. 'Wife of Thomas Rees, labourer'. Son David was in attendance. Thomas died 12/12/1846, aged 77. 'Thomas Rees, Labourer'. Informant was David Rees. Both died in Milford, Steynton, Pembrokeshire.

Regards

Coreen

Offline vicarswife19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 June 19 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I can see that this post was from quite a while ago, but did you manage to have a look to find any siblings?  I have the Parish records here.  regards, Lorna

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 June 19 04:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

No, I didn't find any more siblings. Any further information would be great.

Kind regards,

Coreen