Author Topic: Maybe I've been reading too many genealogical mystery thrillers..  (Read 3657 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maybe I've been reading too many genealogical mystery thrillers..
« on: Monday 24 July 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
If you have an ancestor who was the victim of a crime or some other injustice, have you ever been tempted to trace the descendants of the perpetrator? Or conversely, if your ancestor was guilty of some crime, have you ever traced the descendants of his / her victims?

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe I've been reading too many genealogical mystery thrillers..
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:32 BST (UK) »
Not quite what you mentioned but I found a great uncle who died with a friend trying to rescue two other friends (girls) and I ended up researching the families of all four of the drowning victims.
And my son went into London and found the memorial to them.
Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
Not a victim of crime, but my great uncle George James was killed in a mining accident in 1885.  A Daniel Crosthwaite was awarded a certificate for bravery when he climbed down the rope to help him after he was hit.  I hope his descendants know about his bravery.
Don't want to meet descendants of the engine driver involved though.  I'd probably say the wrong thing.
A couple of news reports.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kfw/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kfx/
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
I found out some time ago that my grandmother's first cousin was implicated in a fraud, he and his fellow directors of the company involved were sued by one of the people who had bought shares as a result of "over ambitious" advertising. I recently researched the shareholder's descendants and fortunately they hadn't become destitute by my relative's actions as I feared might have happened.

And I did find some descendants of the victims of a robbery carried out by my great great grandfather's brother's wife's brother. They are fellow Rootschatters!
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=248682.msg5380458#msg5380458

I'm now trying to find what happened to the family of the man, one of my husband's ancestors accidentally ran over and killed with his cart in 1850.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
A while back I spent many hours trawling through the coroners records for Sussex looking for my ancestors.  I was disappointed that the same names kept cropping up as part of the jury but never as the accused (or victims). 

Then I struck lucky  ::) and found the case of my mother's 9xGGF's brother (on her father's side) found guilty of the manslaughter of the wife of the Forgeman he worked for.  And then the horrible truth dawned - the poor victim was my mother's 11xGGM on her mother's side.

I don't suppose it ever occurred to them that 300 years later their descendants (my Mum's parents) would be bring the two families together!  I think it's safe to say also that neither of my Grandparents knew the story.

During those 300 years there are well documented power struggles between the two families in Mid Sussex (they never moved very far at all) which have been preserved in documents such as Churchwarden's notes and 'donations' to the Church - each vying for greater prominence and the accumulation of land and property!

Liz  8)
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 July 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
Lincolnshire Archives;

Barton on Humber
Trial date:
3/9/1839
Mary CLAYTON
Stealing a piece of blond and goods the property of David Holdsworth, draper, from his shop

David is my 2nd Great Grandfather.

Poor Woman was 35 and was Transported, sentence 7 years.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 July 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
My 4xgt grandfather Mark Brady got into a drunken brawl with two of his shipmates and ended up caving someone's skull in with a handspike. He was in Newgate Prison for something like 19 weeks before going to trial at the Old Bailey. One of the doctors at the trial said that if the victim took care of himself he could go on to make a full recovery. I wasn't interested so much in descendants but I did wonder what happened to the victim and how he fared from that point on. Never did find him, sadly.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 July 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
A James Cavanagh took a potshot at my 3x great grandfather, a landowner in Ireland.  Notice in the newspaper noted the names of the victim and his attacker, and stated that the bullet had been stopped by the victims clothing and he was unharmed.  At the trial, the offender was found guilty of attempted murder and sentenced to a public hanging outside the County Local Jail.

I'd just love to know what it was all about!!  Was it a robbery, was my ggggrandfather a bad landlord, or did the offender have a grudge or owe him money!  Will pigs ever fly??? 

It's a shame that there are so many things we will never know about our ancestors, good things and not so good things, and perhaps it's good that we don't know it all!  :o
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 July 17 22:26 BST (UK) »
Well, I've got someone who was a victim of a very notorious serial killer [Louise Peete] and, yes, I did investigate what became of her one known descendant.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis