Author Topic: Maybe I've been reading too many genealogical mystery thrillers..  (Read 3664 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe I've been reading too many genealogical mystery thrillers..
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hunting round a family for a friend who wanted to know about his ancestors, I came upon a sad tale of a feckless ( lovely dialect word, that) lad who murdered one - one only - of his own children. The other people present would probably not have been worth tracing, I'm sure. (And the person who asked me to find out wasn't best pleased to find that in his ancestry)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
i am the descendant of a murder victim and a serial killer, As my great grandma killed my Great Grandad, as well as her lover and 2 other husbands  :)
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 July 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
I've tried, so far unsuccessfully, to trace descendants of James & Ellen Moye, who in 1881 and 1891 were living at Carnforth.

Ellen was the victim of a rape committed by a distant cousin of mine. He was sentenced to 12 years.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 August 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
I've a few minor criminals - stealing firewood etc. 

My gt x 3 uncle, William Mealing "not having the light of God in his eyes" killed his pregnant fiancee with a cut-throat razor in 1862.  He came from the Cotswold village of Rendcomb, and the villagers clubbed together to pay for his defence.  He was found innocent on the grounds of insanity and spent the rest of his life in Broadmoor.  His victim, Sarah Moss, had a 3 year old daughter by another man, and I've traced her life as best I can.
It was rather like a Midsomer Murder - all the people, William, Sarah, their families, Timothy Tarrant (village blacksmith & constable & godfather to William) were all recorded on 2 pages in the 1861 census.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 August 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
I have two ancestors who were murdered, one in 1829 in a drunken brawl with his friend. The friend was acquitted due to a lack of clear evidence. The other in 1904 was poisoned by his housekeeper/mother of his illegitimate children. He had become infirm so she moved her boyfriend in downstairs and poisoned him with arsenic. There was a huge trial, making national papers and the housekeeper was acquitted because the jury thought her boyfriend had instigated the whole affair and he did a runner! It hadn't crossed my mind to trace the descendants of the perpetrators!
I have lots of minor court appearances for nuisances, no dog licence etc
My favourite two concern my ggg grandfather and his mother. His mother was accused of stealing a purse in 1859 and locked up in Lancaster Castle. She was acquitted the next day due to lack of evidence and a few months later took her accuser to court to claim damages :) Her son was accused of starting a riot of over 300 people, pistols fired etc. and aiding the escape of a prisoner in 1849. He was also acquitted but I think lots of people who gave evidence to support him were being 'economical' with the truth! The trial reports are fascinating though, lots of information which confirms various relationships, including the identity of his future wife. The prisoner who escaped was his younger brother who was apprehended a few months later and did his time in Carlisle Prison
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 August 17 19:44 BST (UK) »
I've tried, so far unsuccessfully, to trace descendants of James & Ellen Moye, who in 1881 and 1891 were living at Carnforth.

Ellen was the victim of a rape committed by a distant cousin of mine. He was sentenced to 12 years.
I think James might be back in Sheffield in 1901, Brightside Bierlow, with a new wife Rebecca, son George born Sheffield and daughter Nellie born Warton Lancashire
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 August 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
I think James might be back in Sheffield in 1901, Brightside Bierlow, with a new wife Rebecca, son George born Sheffield and daughter Nellie born Warton Lancashire
Yes, that's them.
The family is quite complicated. James married Clara Wiskar in Hull in 1872. William and Ada are their children.
Clara died in 1876, and James, by then in Sheffield, married Ellen Bell, who was the victim of the crime. George Henry and Ellen Hanson are their children.
I believe that the Amanda B Moye, who is with them in 1881, is actually Frances Amanda Bell. George Bell married Ellen Hanson at Lincoln in 1870. Places of birth match up. Frances Amanda married James Gathercole in 1892.

EDIT:
The Ellen Hanson who married George Bell is the same woman who married James Moy[e]. She uses Hanson OR Bell when registering her children. It appears that the Rebecca Charlton who married James in 1896 also has the maiden name Hanson, and is likely to be Ellen's sister.

What a tangle! ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 August 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
Only if the ancestor or relative was the perpetrator or victim. I may research the other person but not their descendants.

My ancestors brother was sent to Australia in 1837 for maiming someone in a pub in Essex. I have traced the victim but not researched his children or grandchildren. Edward Childs was having a row with his dad and someone else intervened so Eddie maimed him. Ironically Eddie's mother died the previous year so I think there was friction between hi and his dad.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 August 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
Frances Amanda married James Gathercole in 1892.
Prompted by this excellent name, I've had another session of research, and found descendants!
Messages sent.