Author Topic: Birth registration quarters - a question  (Read 4302 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth registration quarters - a question
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 July 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
Regarding births/deaths registered the next year it can be so cold in December and January may be better .... or not. No four wheel drive!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 July 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
I have wondered for some time about the 42 day rule/regulation/law. And more to the point, what if the time is exceeded? Is there a penalty and who is liable for it?

Regards

Under the 1874 Act you had up to three months, and a maximum of twelve months to register the birth. See Section 2 of the Act at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/acts/1874Act.htm There was no penalty for late registration.
A penalty not exceeding £2 was introduced in Section 39 of the 1874 Registration of Births & Deaths Act, for the non-registration of a birth (the wording of the Act is actually for “failing to give information concerning the birth…….. as required by the said Acts”).

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=682927.msg5273910#msg5273910
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 July 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor baptised 16 March 1856.

His date of birth was recorded in the baptism register as 25 January 1856.

His birth was registered on 31 March 1856.

Date of birth given as 20 February 1856.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 July 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Both my father and his sister had late December birthdays, as did my nephew.  Their births are recorded in the Jan/Feb/Mar quarter of the following years, so other researchers have assumed their births to be in the quarter in which they are shown registered, i.e. actually in the year following the birth. It's too easy to make this mistake if you aren't a close relative aware of the correct facts.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 July 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
There was a penalty for late registration in the 1836 Act.
Section XXII of the 1836 Act, states that for registration after forty-two days
 the Superintendent Registrar shall be entitled to have a Fee of Two Shillings and Sixpence, and the Registrar, shall be entitled, unless the Delay shall have been occasioned by his Default, to have a Fee of Five Shillings from the person requiring the same to be registered.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/acts/1836Act.htm

Stan

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 July 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
These days the registrars have a computerised list of births in their area provided by the maternity hospitals/community midwives. If  a birth isn't registered within the 6 weeks a reminder letter is sent to the mother. A further reminder letter will be sent a few weeks later and eventually if no registration takes place the details are forwarded to GRO who decide if any further action will be taken. I am not aware of ANY cases that GRO have taken any further ( but no doubt they may occasionally do so).

Burials/cremations do not require the death to be registered before they can take place - but they do require a form to be be issued by the registrar or coroner to allow the funeral to proceed. It would be unusual for the registrar to issue the authorisation but registration happening after the funeral is quite a common occurrence where the coroner has had any involvement.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 July 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
It's currently a £200 fine - it was over the showbiz news earlier this year as Cheryl Cole didn't register her baby in time  http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/07/liam-payne-and-cheryl-could-face-200-fine-after-failing-to-register-birth-of-son-bear-6621229/ - not sure if they had to pay or not

My great, great grandmother just lied and altered my great grandfathers date of birth (but only confessed to him when he was in his twenties  and saw his birth certificate)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
It's currently a £200 fine -

A penalty not exceeding £2 was introduced in Section 39 of the 1874 Registration of Births & Deaths Act, for the non-registration of a birth (the wording of the Act is actually for “failing to give information concerning the birth…….. as required by the said Acts”). This was increased to £20 by the Criminal Justice Act 1967 and to £200 by the Criminal Justice Act 1982.
See See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/48/section/37

Stan

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
If a birth is registered late the registration has to be overseen by the Superintendent Registrar. Example: one of my ancestors was born on 15 September 1850 (in the middle of nowhere in Cumberland) and the birth was registered on 1 March 1851.  Both the registrar and the superintendent registrar signed the entry in Col 9.

Melbell