Author Topic: Baptism for Millicent Alice Frooms 1891.  (Read 873 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism for Millicent Alice Frooms 1891.
« on: Monday 24 July 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find a baptism for Millicent Alice Frooms, born 21 January 1891 in Hove, Sussex?

Millicent was illegitimate and the most likely church for her baptism would be St Andrew, Hove.

There is a slight possibility that she could have been baptised under the name of Kerridge as her parents married in April 1891 and her father is presumed to be a man by the name of Kerridge.

Jo

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism for Millicent Alice Frooms 1891.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:13 BST (UK) »
Birth of Millicent Alice Frooms registered Steyning Q1 volume 2b page 302

Baptism as Kerridge at St Barnabus, Hove on 06 March 1892.  Father Albert Abraham Kerridge occupation Billiard Maker.  Mother Amelia Hannah Kerridge.  Abode 26 Wordsworth Street, Hove.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
House is still there if you look on Google Maps Streetview much the same as it would have done then.  Semi basement and two stories above.  I lived in a similar house in Brighton when I was at college there in the 1960s, nice sized rooms generally.  Seems to have been a 'generic' style in that period when Brighton and Hove were dramatically expanding.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hello artifis,

Thank you for this information. I think she was baptised there due to the fact she was illegitimate. The other children were baptised in St Andrew on Church Road.

I know Wordsworth Street well as I lived just round the corner for some years.

Jo.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Checking SFHG records their son Albert Henry was baptised on same day as Millicent, i.e. 06 Mar 1892, at St Barnabus.  Same abode.  Occupation of father was billiard marker not maker as I'd first read it!   >:(

George Frederick was baptised at St Andrew on 03 Sep 1893, father's occupation billiard marker and abode 17 Montgomery Street.

Florence Frances May was baptised 07 May 1986 at St Andrew again.  Father's occupation steward - a promotion? - and abode 32 Montgomery Street.  (Handy for the Poet's Corner pub/hotel opposite, maybe his work place?)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 July 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, artifis.

Yes, Albert Abraham Kerridge was a Billiard marker at The Prince's Hotel, Hove. This stood on Grand Ave and is now the offices of Brighton and Hove City Council, having been renamed King's House.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw017735

Subsequent to this Albert and his wife, Amelia, became steward and stewardess of The Prince's Club which operated at The Prince's Hotel.

The family of Albert and Amelia Kerridge moved to Leamington Spa in the late 1890s and can be found on the 1901 census at The Clarendon Hotel where Albert was the Manager.

Jo.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 July 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
Quite a posh hotel in Hove and I can understand them needing a billiard marker who was presumably also responsible for the maintenance of the tables and the setting up of the balls etc.  I would imagine also good for tips.  Long hours though I'd imagine, unless they worked shifts but I expect some guests wanted the same marker who knew their ways.

He was obviously an ambitious man and 'made good' as it were.