Author Topic: Barbados and Jamaica - George James Landells of Burke & Wills infamy  (Read 3773 times)

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica - George James Landells
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 July 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
Possibly your Cecil?

6 June 1911 newspaper article about the death of Rev. Cecil Marrack.
The article includes a photograph of Rev. Cecil Marrack.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kgl/

Yes, and also in Find A Grave there is a short quote from the San Francisco Call, June 7, 1911.

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 July 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
You may have seen this, but it seems G P Marrack may have been involved in some financial irregularities:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/88621048?searchTerm=richard%20thornton%20MARRACK&searchLimits=

Perhaps new life in America + new career as a Methodist minister = new name?

Now that is a very distinct possibility. An earlier post in this thread by @AMBLY refers to an enquiry by G.E. MARRACK about his father supposedly coming to USA in the 1880s.
Also in that post @AMBLY mentions a B.W. Noel MARRACK in San Francisco, and that would be a son of George Pearce MARRACK +  Mary Forbes Olivia LANDELLS, the 6th child - born in Kangaroo Flat, Victoria, Australia in 1874.
His full name recorded in records:  Baptist Wriothsley Noel  MARRACK  (aka Noel, first name often seen as Baptiste).                         

The 7th child was Florence Etheline MARRACK  b. 1876 also in Kangaroo Flat, Victoria and  died 1951 in San Francisco with surname CARROLL; aka Ethelwyn (courtesy of the researches of @AMBLY).

The 8th was Cecil Mortimer MARRACK.

So there were 5 of the family in California, and George Pearce likely changed his name to Richard Thornton MARRACK.
Would he need papers to prove that name in the 1880s?

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 July 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm, more mystery

Apparently, a son named as G. E. MARRACK   ??? of 330 Baker*, was looking for information on his father: Richard Thornton MARRACK,  whom he believed came to the US about 1880 and lived in US until 1901 in SF and asked for assistance from the Vital Records Office to find him

I think G E Marrack is AuGUStus Edmond, although on the 1830 census, Gus E Marrack says he was born in Australia rather than being native to Nevada. 

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 July 17 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm, more mystery

Apparently, a son named as G. E. MARRACK   ??? of 330 Baker*, was looking for information on his father: Richard Thornton MARRACK,  whom he believed came to the US about 1880 and lived in US until 1901 in SF and asked for assistance from the Vital Records Office to find him

I think G E Marrack is AuGUStus Edmond, although on the 1830 census, Gus E Marrack says he was born in Australia rather than being native to Nevada.

In the Victorian BDM records, there are 2 MARRACK families but none have a birth in the state of Victoria, Australia for an Augustus Edmond (or similar) - 14 children between 1855 and 1879.
Where did you find that name?

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 July 17 05:10 BST (UK) »
Where did you find that name?

Post #4 of this thread by Ambly.

Gus E Marrack in 1930 Census with birthplace listed as Australia: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XC6T-HQK

San Francisco County death record for Gus Edmond Marrack with birthplace listed as Australia: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKD4-RHNN

1892 voter registration for Augustus Edmond Marrack: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VTX3-JV2

On Ancestry, the California Biographical Collection: Responses to Vital Record Inquiries, 1822-1964 shows in 1892 B W Noel Marrack has requested information about Augustus Edmond Marrack - this is the record that shows him as a Native of Nevada.

Also on Ancestry, the San Francisco, California, City Directory, 1923 shows G E Marrack and Noel Marrack both living at 540 Baker.

With a birth date of 1871 he slots in between the other children, so not sure why his birth doesn't show on the Index.

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 July 17 05:29 BST (UK) »
Where did you find that name?[
That's plenty of evidence.
He should be on the Victorian BDM records, so I will try a Vic BDM search with parents named - the wildcard search Marr* has failed for me over the last couple of weeks.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 July 17 05:48 BST (UK) »
Good luck!  I tried searching for any Augustus born in 1871 with no match.

The child is not named but it was reported that Mrs G P Marrack did have a son in 1871:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/87967361?searchTerm=marrack%20births&searchLimits=l-state=Victoria

EDIT: Made the Melbourne Leader as well:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/196830306?searchTerm=marrack%20births%20kangaroo&searchLimits=l-state=Victoria

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 July 17 06:03 BST (UK) »
Good find. My search found the sister Gertrude AMy Augusta born in 1871 and other August*** births but not Gus Edmond.

Another matter: I think that I have used a wrong topic name (Subject) for this thread - although some of George James LANDELLS' siblings were born in Jamaica (though my information is far from adequate), he was actually born in Barbados
I may have to ask for a change in the Subject. I had assumed that the British Army connection of his father, George Landells, would be Jamaica and that more information would be forthcoming.
Instead, we have a tangent to a rich field of information in San Francisco, for in-laws of the Burke and Wills anti-hero George James.

[Edit]
Re the newspaper birth notices: George Pearce Marrack was obviously a notable figure in Bendigo & district - there are 500+ references to him in Trove between about  1860 and the early 1900s when he had been gone for 25 years.

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados and Jamaica - George James Landells of Burke & Wills infamy
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 July 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
George James LANDELLS, who was commissioned to supply camels for the Burke and Wills  Exploring Expedition, was at first second-in-command of the expedition until an argument with Burke.
The State Library of Victoria, Australia (SLV) has a website devoted to the B&W saga, and the vital information that I have for LANDELLS comes from there.

George James Landells b. 5 Feb 1825, Barbados, West Indies; d. 4 Dec 1871, Rawal Pindi, Bengal, India

His wife was Elizabeth Rosa (no surname, dates or place of birth or death, and no marriage date for them).

I have searched the usual places, and I cannot verify any of that information. I am entirely reliant on the information at the SLV.