Author Topic: BARBADOS: Arthur Jordan born 1802  (Read 889 times)

Offline dartsman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BARBADOS: Arthur Jordan born 1802
« on: Monday 24 July 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
I'm new to the forum but have been researching my family for about 3 years now and a lot of that time has been on Arthur Jordan.

He is my 3 times Gt Grandfather and was born in Barbados circa 1802. We know he had arrived in London by 1825 as he's listed in Pigot's Directory that year as a Picture Dealer at 3 Spur Street, Leicester Square. He was also listed as a Carver and Gilder in the same year. I have found his occupation as an artist in the 1851 and 1861 census. He certainly was an interesting character and I will create another thread later in the London & Middlesex category.

What I am trying to find out now is when he actually arrived in the UK and, more importantly, who his parents were in Barbados. I've tried various routes of research but found no record of his birth at all.

So any help on where to look would be great.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BARBADOS: Arthur Jordan born 1802
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Did Arthur Jordan marry in England? if he did so after the start of civil registration then the marriage certificate should list father's name and occupation.

He might also have arrived in England with relatives- have you found any Jordans also born Barbados in census records?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dartsman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.

This is what makes him interesting and which I was going to include in a different thread. As far as we can make out he fathered 14 children (3 died very young) by 3 different ladies and never married any of them.

In the 1841 census he was living with Susan/Susannah and their 3 daughters. The 1851 census Susannah is living with one of the daughters and states her as wife of a Picture Dealer, but no Arthur. Meanwhile in 1841 and 1851 my 3 times Gt. Grandmother, Jane, was living with her 4 children, one of which was my Gt. Gt. Grandfather Charles. We know they were Arthur's children because of the online baptism records and wedding banns.

While in 1851 and 1861 Arthur was living with Elizabeth and their children. Again they were all his because of the baptism records, where he was shown as an artist. He died in 1869.

There is no records of marriage to any of the three ladies, though Susan and Jane would have been too early for the BMD records. Charles was born 1832 and 2 others were earlier than that.

I will check out other Jordan's born in Barbados on the 1841/51 census

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
There's a Sarah MD Jordan, widow aged 50, from Barbados at 37 Gloucester Crescent in the 1851 census of London. A fund holder.

ADDED:

She was Sarah Margaret Downs Jordan, nee Spooner. Married William Walker Jordan Eversley
in  Barbados in 1814, and then William Walker Jordan in London in 1834.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dartsman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info.

I've just gone into Barbados Church Records on the Family Search website and found a 'Sarah Margaret Downes Spooner' who married 'William Eversley' on 8th December 1814, but couldn't find 'William Walker Jordan'

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 July 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
Yes - I got that slightly wrong - William Walker Jordan was her second husband. Married in London in 1834.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk