Author Topic: 188 Anlaby Road, Hull  (Read 2721 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
188 Anlaby Road, Hull
« on: Monday 24 July 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Just going back over old certificates to see if I'd missed anything...

My great grandfather's death certificate says he died at 188 Anlaby Road, Hull but his home address was elsewhere. When I googled 188 Anlaby Road its pretty much where Hull Royal Hospital is now. Does any know if the old building was also a hospital or possibly a workhouse?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 188 Anlaby Road, Hull
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
I seem to think it was The Hull workhouse Jill.

http://oldhull.co.uk/the-workhouse/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
Yes it was - see http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Hull/

The Anlaby Road address is mentioned near the bottom of the page, a few lines above the section headed Scattered Homes.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks, both. What an interesting site - I'd never come across it before so will have a good gander now.

I rather thought it might be the workhouse, though he died in 1942 so perhaps it was more of an infirmary by then. I vaguely remember my auntie (his granddaughter) saying she thought it was a workhouse but I wasn't sure and she's no longer with us to ask.

Thanks again - its amazing what pearls you can find just by going over old stuff with the benefit of hindsight from what you've learned since first dealing with the information. I shall continue!!

Thanks again,
Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
In 1904 the Hull Guardians purchased Nos 184, 186 and 188 Anlaby Road and 2 adjacent shops to extend the Workhouse

Hull Daily Mail, 30 May 1940, carries an advert re. " ... urgent need of volunteers to be trained as stretcher bearers at the hospitals in this neighbourhood ... The centres are ...; Anlaby Road Institution (Hospital), 188 Anlaby Road; ..."

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
A lot of the workhouses had an infirmary attached to them. The infirmary was not just for workhouse inmates. I have several ancestors who died in the workhouse infirmary but weren't inmates.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
I was born in a Workhouse.  Birch Hill Hospital, which is about three miles from the centre of Rochdale started life as Dearnley Workhouse in 1877.

As the level of destitution rose towards the end of the 1800’s, more and more of the Workhouse inmates were sick and in need of medical attention.  As Emeltom says, many of the Workhouses built Infirmary wards attached to them, these Infirmaries were not just for the Workhouse inmates.

With the coming of the N.H.S. in 1948, they became Hospitals.  188 Anlaby Road was one of these.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that would explain why his address was different. He had been living quite nearby with one of his daughters and family but must have become too ill for her to cope with. He had reached the age of 87 and had heart problems.

Silly, given that I never met him, but after the colourful but tragic life he'd lived ( lost 11 of his 15 children, most in infancy; worked as a ringmaster in a travelling fair) I'd hate to think he ended his days in an actual workhouse.

Jill

HELP!!!