Author Topic: Medmenham - Operation Crossbow  (Read 969 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Medmenham - Operation Crossbow
« on: Monday 24 July 17 17:14 BST (UK) »
I watched a really interesting doc on BBC4 last night about the part played by RAF Medmenham in WW2: Operation Crossbow, 3D photographs of enemy territory taken by brave pilots of converted Spitfires (i.e. no guns, just cameras) .

My dad came from Medmenham, though I've never been. He was also in the RAF in WW2 but I don't know that he was ever actually posted at RAF Medmenham. It was also great to see Danesfield House which was used as HQ for the photograph investigators - my grandfather worked there as a gardener just before WW1.

What did grate a bit though was the narrator who kept pronouncing Medmenham as MED-MEN-HAM although my dad always called it MED-NAM. I'm sure Samantha Bond (the narrator) was only pronouncing it as required by the programme makers. perhaps I've got it wrong?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Medmenham - Operation Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
I watched that Jill.....and they just don't understand the Buckinghamshire accent, do they. ;D

My Mum called it Medmenham......my Dad called in Mednam.....Mum's parents were from oooop North, but Dad was Bucks, through and through. ;) :)

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Medmenham - Operation Crossbow
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
Snap, bucksboy!

My mum was from up here in Yorkshire, which is why I say I've never been to Med'nam!! Plus, after a few generations of Russells in Medmenham, my dad's parents moved into Kent and then Middlesex.

It makes for a wider and more varied search for my ancestors, at least.

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.