Author Topic: how do i find out re a possible canadian connection?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline southportgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
how do i find out re a possible canadian connection?
« on: Monday 24 July 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
I have my grandmothers baptism certificate which shows she was baptised in belfast when she was 14 years of age. My mother is under the impression her mother is of canadian descent,she reckons my great grandfather was a colonel. question: how can i find out if any of this is true i.e was my grandmother canadian and was her father in the canadian expeditionary forces.

details I have:
grandmother: agnes white, DOB 7.8.14, baptised in parish of St MAry's, diocese of Connor on 12.9.1928.
Parents:William James and Elizabeth White of 63 Beresford Street,I suppose in Belfast

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: how do i find out re a possible canadian connection?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:44 BST (UK) »
Possible arrival in England?

Arriving Liverpool 14 July 1919. Sailed from Montreal on the Scandinavian.

Wm J White 32 Soldier
Eliz 26 Wife
Mary A 6
Agnes 4
Wm J Infant 10 Months

European address 8 Wimbleton St Belfast

Country of last residence Canada, but it doesn't say where, unfortunately.

No apparent indication of where anyone was born.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline southportgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
fantastic!! that's the address I know her living at, Wimbledon Street, Shankill Rd Belfast. And  that has reminded me of an "uncle willy" who came over from england somewhere. Now if it seems that she was canadian is there a similar forum to this covering canada?
I have no memory of a Mary although my mother's name is Mary Jane so that might explain it?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 17 20:11 BST (UK) »
I think you could contact a Mod and ask to have this thread transferred to the Canada board.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
There is a CEF (Canadian Expeditionary Force) Attestation Form for a William James White b. 04 Mar 1887 in Belfast Ireland. Living in London Ontario. Wife Elizabeth Irvine White.

Library and Archives Canada is in the process of digitizing complete WW1 records and they will be available to view for free from their website. I will post a link later....website is down at the moment. 'W' will be a while yet, but if this is your Wm you may find some clues in the file. I'll also post a link to the Attestation Form when the website comes back on line.

PB

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 July 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
Just going to post this. Like PB I seem to lose things if I don't. :)

Marriage:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KS8F-V66

There's a CEF attestation form for William James WHITE born 4 March 1887 Belfast. Residence is London,Ontario. Wife is Elizabeth Irvine WHITE.
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx
White Houston of 8 Wimbledon Street Belfast retired hosue repairer died 19 June 1933 Probate Belfast 19 September to William James White car driver. Effects £217 2s. 11d.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 July 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Here is the CEF Attestation Form for Wm, front and back....

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=307114

LAC are up to 'P' with the digitization process for the military files. Link to Library and Archives Canada (LAC)....

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Pages/home.aspx

PB

Offline southportgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
this is all fantastic. thanks to everyone for their help