Author Topic: Wallace  (Read 1942 times)

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wallace
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 05:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,
New user here. I also newly discovered that my ancestry brings me to Co. Tyrone.

I saw that a few months ago another use inquired about some Wallaces from Tyrone but there didn't seem to be any overlap with my questions.

I have been researching my branch of the Wallace family for quite some time now. My direct emigrant was Andrew Wallace born around 1825 and came to Pennsylvania sometime before 1847. He married a woman named Margaret Duncan and had three children in Pittsburgh before moving the family to Philadelphia in 1854. Margaret died as a result of alcoholism in 1863, Andrew died the next year in 1864 in Andersonville, GA as a prisoner of war.

I don't have the single perfect piece of proof yet but I believe these are the family members that immigrated:

[possible unknown older siblings]
Andrew Wallace b.1825 d.1864 - immigrated separately before everyone else, maybe alone, maybe with older siblings and dad.
Elizabeth b.1827 d.?
Alexander b.1829 d.?
Samuel b.1832 d.1854
Caldwell b.1835 d.1872 - this name doesn't seem common and could imply family ties. It was used a few more times in middle names in subsequent generations.
Matilda b.1836 d.1921
Joseph b.1839 d.?

These folks were all born in Ireland and were Presbyterian. I have confirmed Matilda is surely Andrew's sister and Matilda seems to confirm the rest so I'm only extrapolating a tiny bit to say that they're all the same family. The parents of this family are said to be James Wallace and Matilda, according to the obituary of Caldwell. Matilda was born about 1799 and died in 1856 but I have found absolutely nothing about James other than his name appearing in this obituary. In any case the family does not appear to have followed naming traditions.

In a testimony given by Andrew's children, they claim to have an uncle named Andrew Williams. This Andrew Williams had a mother named Catherine Wallace born 1806, also in Co. Tyrone. The father was David John Williams b.1795. I suspect she was a sister of the father "James". The boys barely knew anything about their parents so the "uncle/father's cousin" confusion is not a surprise.

The only record I've found of a James born somewhere this time and near Co. Tyrone is one born 15 April 1798 to Robert Wallace in Co. Armagh, Tyrone Ditches parish but I have no way of knowing if this is right. Experience has taught me to not trust obituaries all the time so I don't know if James is even correct. I do believe the name Matilda for the mother, since it is a rather prevalent name in the next few generations. Andrew's middle son was named James Alexander but none of his siblings seem to use it.

I'd be very grateful for any help with this family. I'm also happy to talk more about the families in Pennsylvania, I've been able to put together a rather complete story for Andrew's children and descendants.

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 September 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
I'd like to bump and update this because I am still scratching my head with this family.

Elizabeth [abt 1827 - 2 July 1854, Philadelphia] unmarried
Alexander [abt 1829 - 24 May 1896, Philadelphia] married Anne "Nancy" Houston, three children. Only one son lived long enough to marry and father more children.
Samuel [abt 1832 - 2 Feb 1854, Philadelphia] unmarried
Joseph [abt 1840 - still unknown]

I now have reason to believe that the father of this family may have been born in Scotland and moved to Northern Ireland when young.

I would love any help someone could be kind enough to offer.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 September 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Maybe it would be helpful to ask moderators to post on a different board so that it will be seen by people with  interests in Scotland or USA .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 September 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
There is a photo of a record on ancestry for a Caldwell Wallace death tuberculosis
Age 36 in 1871 ..I think it says
Born Ireland died Philadelphia

*The same person has several  America documents for Andrew Wallace
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 September 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
According to 1850 U.S. Census it looks as though Caldwell Wallace's mother was Mary-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M4CJ-MFS
(Mary Wallace (age 50) with Samuel (17), Caldwell (14), Matilda (12), Joseph (10)...)

Added- an online tree gives Andrew Wallace's wife as Margaret McIlveen but clicking on link shows he married Margaret Duncan. Death certificate (1915) of son James C. Wallace shows his mother as McIlveen born Butler, Penna.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 September 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
1. The mother's name listed as Mary in the 1850 census I believe is a mistake. Immigration forms, Caldwell's death notice, and those of other siblings all list her name as Matilda, all with the same address. Maybe it was Matilda Mary.

2. The tree with documents attached to Andrew on ancestry.com is mine or another user that I helped who descends from the same batch of Wallaces.

3. The Margaret McIlveen issue is actually an entirely different family with some similar naming and birth year ranges - totally unrelated. I know a while back a few people had McIlveen listed instead of Duncan but this was incorrect and if you are still seeing it then that person did not correct their tree or the indexes have not caught up.

4. Caldwell's death date is a little fishy because it lists 1871 on his death certificate and army papers, however it was published in the newspaper on the same date in 1872. Someone made an error on the documents I assume since I would be inclined to trust the newspaper.

I am confident that I am the only person from this particular Wallace family researching them at this level (at least among those posting their progress online!). I have been able to tie together numerous trees on ancestry.com that all were previously at their brick wall and unite many of the immigrant generation as siblings. This is one of the reasons I didn't post to the USA board.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 September 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
4. Caldwell's death date is a little fishy because it lists 1871 on his death certificate and army papers, however it was published in the newspaper on the same date in 1872. Someone made an error on the documents I assume since I would be inclined to trust the newspaper.

What is the exact date of death given on death certificate and army papers? publication date of newspaper obituary/death notice?

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 September 17 19:48 BST (UK) »

What is the exact date of death given on death certificate and army papers? publication date of newspaper obituary/death notice?

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates Index, 1803-1915 : 4 Jan 1872 as given in the index, but 4 Jan 1871 is recorded on actual certificate
The Philadelphia Inquirer - Mon, Jan 8, 1872 - Page 4 : "On the 4th instant, CALDWELL WALLACE, son of James and Matilda Wallace, aged 36 years."

Files requisitioned from NARA by myself indicate 1871. I think the death certificate was incorrectly written and this was used in the NARA documents for his wife's application for pension. Examples:
Department of the Interior Pension Office July 11 1872 : "You are respectfully requested to furnish official evidence of the enrollment, muster service, duty, and discharge or death of Caldwell Wallace, who was a Sergeant in Company D, 73 Regiment of Pennsylvania Vols., reported died January 4, 1871."
203470 : "Mustered out July 14, 1865, Died January 4, 1871"
A few more instances are in the packet.

Sad life, he had 4 children after the Civil War with his wife Sarah and all of them died in their infancy of various diseases until he died himself. Only one child made it to two years in age before contracting some disease and then dying. At the time of his death, Caldwell's last living child and only son John Caldwell Wallace was still alive but unfortunately died later on 29 Jan 1872.  Sarah then married the brother of the husband of Caldwell's sister Matilda, with whom she had two more children that lived to adulthood.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 September 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Death certificate gives date of death as January 4th 1871 but date of burial as Jan 8th 1872.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6QM3-D6N?i=345&cc=1320976