Author Topic: MacGregors of Contin and Fodderty, Ross  (Read 5054 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: MacGregors of Contin and Fodderty, Ross
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
I am in possession of my great-great-grandfather's birth certificate (1/2 Scottish, 1/2 English), and he was born in Coul, north of Contin village. His name was Alexander MacGregor, and he died in 1933, in Hornsey, London.
What were the names of both his parents, and what was his date of birth? Where and when were his parents married?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzies of Fodderty, Ross
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,

He was born on the 18th of February 1860, if I recall correctly. His parents were Alexander and Eliza MacGregor (formerly Streater), who married in 1847, in Contin. Eliza was from Farringdon, Hampshire.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
Ah. As it's before 1855, the marriage record won't tell you their parents' names. Pity about that.

I see that a Simon McGregor, aged 70, died in Fodderty in 1859. Have you seen his death certificate? It should tell you the full names of both his parents including his mother's maiden surname. If the informant is your Alexander, that would be evidence enough about Alexander's parents and grandparents.

I don't see an obvious death of Margaret MacKenzie or MacGregor, so it is likely that she died before 1855.

(A Margaret McKinzie or McGrigor, aged 75, died in Strathdon, Aberdeenshire, in 1861. However I think she is probably the Margaret McKenzie, 74, born Ballater, recorded in the 1861 census at Ballochilloch in Strathdon and in the 1851 census at Cotmore, Coull with her husband John McKenzie.

There is also a death of a Margaret McGregor or McKenzie, aged 93, in Inverallan in 1889. She is probably the 85-year-old Margaret McGregor, born Duthil, widow (of Alexander McGregor), living at Lynemore, Cromdale in 1881.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,

Using ScotlandPeople, I found Margaret's death in about 1862, if I remember correctly. I also found Simon's son died in 1861, a year after the birth of my great-great-grandfather. I'll look into the 1859 record. That is Simon. There is an 1815 birth record for him, with Simon and Margaret listed as parents.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Census lookups
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 May 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I did ask for these months ago and got my response, but I haven't been able to find them! I am primarily interested in noting down residence notes, i.e. street names etc.

I am looking for:

Alexander and Eliza MacGregor
(b. 1815, Dingwall - gives p.o.b. as Fodderty) (b. 1817, Hampshire, England)
On 1851 and 1861 Census - just Eliza on 1871. Lived in Contin and Maryburgh if memory serves. Would also be interested in an 1841 record for Alex. if there is one.

Simon and Margaret MacGregor
(b. 1796, Contin) (b. 1795, Fodderty)
1851 Census. Lived in Fodderty. Haven't found an 1841 record but would be keen to see one.

Thanks!

Adam

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookups
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 May 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
Note - Simon's date of birth varies so if there is an 1841 record it'll have a different d.o.b.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookups
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 May 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
I see one, perhaps more.

MCGREGOR SIMON ALEXANDER MC GREGOR ELIZABETH STRATON
13/09/1849 Dingwall

This a baptism if the dob is recorded it will be on the original document found here.
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 May 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks! Yes, the family had at least 3 sons: Alexander, John and Simon. John and Alexander both came to England, but I don't know what became of Simon. They had a relative named Simon MacGregor who worked for the Ordnance Survey in England, but his name was Simon Kemp MacGregor, and looks to have been a possible cousin.