Author Topic: MacGregors of Contin and Fodderty, Ross  (Read 5051 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
MacGregors of Contin and Fodderty, Ross
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Having been in a position to know exactly in Scotland my family comes from, I have hit a bit of a snag.

I am in possession of my great-great-grandfather's birth certificate (1/2 Scottish, 1/2 English), and he was born in Coul, north of Contin village. His name was Alexander MacGregor, and he died in 1933, in Hornsey, London.

His father, also Alexander, was born in c. 1815, in Fodderty, Ross. The only birth record that matches gives the birthplace as nearby Dingwall, and his parents as Simon MacGregor and Margaret McKenzie. Both of these individuals are on the 1851 Census, living in Fodderty, with Simon born in 1796, in Contin, and his wife born in 1795, in Fodderty. Both died in just over a decade from the census.

However, presuming that Simon is indeed my great-great-great-great-grandfather, I can locate no birth record for him. Does anyone know anything of Simon or the MacGregors in the Contin/Fodderty area in the late 18th to mid 19th century?

Thanks,

Adam McGregor
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
McKenzies of Fodderty, Ross
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My great-great-great-great-grandmother, Margaret McKenzie, was born in 1795, in Fodderty. It is unclear whether or not she married my ancestor Simon MacGregor, but she had at least 3 children with him. Does anyone know anything of Margaret or the McKenzies in that area?

Thanks,

Adam McGregor
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacGregors of Contin and Fodderty, Ross
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
Adam, here are the estate records of the tenants on Fairburn which adjoins Coul.  As folk moved around you might just be lucky?

http://www.fairburn-estate.co.uk/oldmap.html

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh,

Unfortunately my family left Scotland between 1871 and 1881, so they don't show up. Thanks anyway.

Adam

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzies of Fodderty, Ross
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
I usually look on the Hugh Wallis website as it helps me find if there are church records for the places my ancestors lived in.

I see the Batch No. for Fodderty is M110652 (M = marriage)

and when entering that batch number on the familysearch.org website, it shows that a Margaret Mackenzie married a Simon McGrigor in Fodderty on 27 Dec 1811.  I'm presuming this record can be seen and bought from scotlandspeople.gov.uk website.

The names of their children could possibly give a clue to the couple's parentage

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you! This is a great help!

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the website doesn't appear to work for me. Simon was born in c. 1796, in Contin, and Margaret was born in c. 1795, in Fodderty.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
No need to faff about with FamilySearch, IGI and batch numbers any longer. Go direct to Scotland's People at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. The indexes there are now free of charge, and you can search using the names of parishes. You get all the events indexed by FS, and you don't get any of the imaginary information that you get on the 'contributed' IGI. You can also view, for a modest fee, an image of any baptism or marriage in the indexes, including that of Simon McGrigor to Margaret Mackenzie in 1811.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
Another thread on the same family

Threads merged.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.