Author Topic: France: Pointers needed on tracing French Ancestry  (Read 321 times)

Offline VicInIbstock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
France: Pointers needed on tracing French Ancestry
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:14 BST (UK) »
I'm tracing my partners tree and for the very first time I need to research French records. Can anyone suggest what online resources there are available.

My quest begins with the marriage of Flaminio and Laurence Tardy in the 1820's - their son Ernest Gustave was born in Paris around 1829 according to the English 1861 census for Stretford. Flaminio appears with her son in 1871 in the same parish. I have a flood of questions about their siblings/forebears so any assistance is very much appreciated.
Thanks in Advance
Cooper, Elliott, Roberts & Rose (Leicestershire)
Vicars (Buckinghamshire)
Vickers & Keen (Oxfordshire)
Robinson & Walker (Durham & Northumberland)

Offline BelgianAncestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: France: Pointers needed on tracing French Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
If you are looking for the original records: Paris is difficult. During the rule of La Commune, a radical revolutionary government that ruled Paris from 18 March to 28 May 1871, the town hall was burned, destroying all parish and civil records. On the same day the courthouse where the doubles of the records were kept was burned too. Eight million old records went up in flames. Some 2.5 million records were afterwards "reconstituted" manually. You can find them at http://archives.paris.fr
For other records elsewhere in France you'll have to look in the many departemental archives. Most of them have a website and do have their parish and civil records online. http://www.guide-genealogie.com/guide/archives_adresses.html
And no, they're not in English.
Of course there are a large number of French genealogical sites and organizations but no doubt you'll find those online by googling.