Author Topic: Rosetta Lipman (née Franks; born 1826-1828)  (Read 711 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Rosetta Lipman (née Franks; born 1826-1828)
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am enquiring about my great-great-great-grandmother, Rosetta Lipman. She gives her maiden name as Franks, and married my great-great-great-grandfather, Morris Lipman, in 1844. I have been unable to locate an 1841 Census record for her. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Adam McGregor
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rosetta Lipman (née Franks; born 1826-1828)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
The best thing would be to get the marriage certificate as that should name her father, which would make things easier. It is also possible (but less likely) that she was a widow when she married, so might have had a different surname in 1841.

That said, I think one posibility is that she was born Sarah Rosettah Franksen in 1826, daughter of Jacob (a cooper) and Charlotte. She appears in the 1841 census as Sarah, 15, along with her widowed mother, brother Frank, and sister Emma. In 1851 both Frank and Emma were still living with their mother, but Sarah/Rosetta has gone. (Your Rosetta named her daughter Sarah of course.)

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot for that.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism record for that person, in Shoreditch. That would 1) make her a Christian and 2) born (in or near) Shoreditch.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
As I suggested earlier, the marriage certificate is what you need.

As for your comments, I'm not sure how I was supposed to realise she needed to be Jewish from your original post. And yes, Whitechapel is a mile or two from Shoreditch, so it may well be a different person (particularly given that the surname has been shortened); but Whitechapel was where Sarah Rosetta's mother said she was born in the 1851 census, so there may be some confusion over places. Censuses can be inaccurate.

R
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 August 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
It's certainly possible, considering her son married a Christian. I'll have to get my hands on the marriage certificate. Thanks.