Author Topic: William and Ellen Cartwright (née Dobson)  (Read 1973 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: William F and Ellen Cartwright (née Dobson)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
Moat St is Wigston Magna ( as apposed to South Wigston which is close by)

Norwell and Bathley are villages just a short distance west of Newark, just along the A1 ( about 5 miles)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
I'm confused. I've reviewed my files, and found I downloaded the wrong 1891 Census record. The correct one shows him as plain old William, born in 1866 in Newark. He cannot therefore be the same man as the one who living in Norwell at the same time.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
Births Mar 1865   Cartwright    William        Southwell    7b   301

Births Dec 1866  Cartwright    William F         Southwell    7b   269

Southwell is the registration district for Norwell and Bathley
I can find none registered in Newark

Most people would say 'Newark' if they were born Norwell or Bathley even now
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:29 BST (UK) »
I thought it might be. The Pearce family. Still a cousin of William F. Therefore son of Samuel and Jessie Cartwright, who married in 1866, in Norwell.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
Name    William Cartwright
Event Type    Census
Event Date    1871
Event Place    Norwell Woodhouse, Norwell, Nottinghamshire, England
Enumeration District    12
Gender    Male
Age    6
Marital Status    Unmarried
Occupation    Scholar
Relationship to Head of Household    Son
Birth Year (Estimated)    1865
Birthplace    Norwell, Nottinghamshire
Entry Number    5
Affiliate Image Identifier    GBC/1871/3537/0032

Samuel Cartwright    Head    M    38    Norwell, Nottinghamshire
Jessy Cartwright    Wife    F    36    Norwell Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire
Mary Cartwright    Daughter    F    11    Markham, Nottinghamshire
William Cartwright    Son    M    6    Norwell, Nottinghamshire
John Cartwright    Son    M    3    Bleasby, Nottinghamshire
June Cartwright    Daughter    F    1    Norwell Woodhouse, Nottingha

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's the one. Turns out I was half right. Just need to revise the maternal side of the family now. Pearce not Lambert.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
I thought it might be. The Pearce family. Still a cousin of William F. Therefore son of Samuel and Jessie Cartwright, who married in 1866, in Norwell.

Have you researched and found the record for this or is it a guess? As it seems they were in Markham Notts in 1860ish registering Mary

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, it used to be my belief that these two are the parents. You'll see that the couple don't have children for years after Mary, so I suspect she may have been illegitimate. William's mother is given as Pearce on his birth certificate, and his parents married in 1864.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Of course she could have been, they also could also have lost children and to prove you need to research parish records and find baptisms/burials. I see they married in 4Q of 1864

When I began researching my 'belief'  based on what I was told by my grandmother that her mother 'might' have been married before, my research proved she wasn't, that she was 15yrs younger than what was written on her marriage cert, all and any census and her death cert and it was her father who was married previously AND had 5 children, 4 of which died a few hours old and the one that lived of course was not my grandmas sister but her half sister....... none of which she ever knew

ADD: I see Samuel is in North Collingham working for the 'Shaws family' and single in the 1861 census