Author Topic: William Dunn of Kingswinford 1776  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Dunn of Kingswinford 1776
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have William Dunn born sometime between 1776 and 1781 in Kingswinford, Staffordshire. He married Sarah Whitaker in 1803. They had several children, all of them baptised at Park Lane Presbyterian in Cradley. His parents are supposed to be James Dunn and Sarah Forrest (married 1777).

1) I cannot find a baptism record for William Dunn but I've been able to find them for his siblings. How can I find his baptism?

2) I've come across another Tree that has a James Dunn baptised at PLP, Cradley on 7 Apr 1805, as James William Dunn son of Joseph William and Sarah Dunn. This Tree has James Dunn as the son of William and Sarah Dunn. I have no idea how to figure out if this is correct or not.

3) There is a baptism record for Samuel Dunn 18 Nov 1807 who is a child of my William and Sarah Dunn and the record says, "son of William Junr. and Sarah Dunn". The "Junr." part has been added in after. Does that mean my William is not actually the son of James Dunn?

James Dunn was supposed to be my 5th great grandfather and one of the original Dunn's of Dunn's Bank in Quarry Bank. His brother was Daniel Dunn, a scythesmith, who also settled on Dunn's Bank. The land was then divided between their sons. James's two sons William and Silas each got some. Now I'm confused since I haven't been able to find any sources to prove that William is the son of James. The only times I've seen that is on other Trees.

Any tips on how to figure this out and some leads in the right direction of Parish Registers and such?
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: William Dunn of Kingswinford 1776
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 05:29 BST (UK) »
I would think that the baptism record for William's son which has his name as "William jnr" would be a pretty good indicator that he is not the son of James - even if added after. I can see that there are 2 William DUNNs at Dunn's Bank in the 1841 census who are around the same age, so perhaps the "jnr" was added after to distinguish between them?

How do you know who William's siblings were if you don't know his parents? I would be suspicious of the trees that assign James as father without some proof.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
I have both William Dunn's from the 1841 Census in my Tree. My William Dunn was born about 1777 and married to Sarah Whitaker. The other William Dunn was born about 1790 and baptised at Park Lane Presbyterian; his parents were William Dunn (nephew of James Dunn) and Joanna Marson. I believe this William married Jane Parker.

I only have his siblings through what other people have told me. After being told who the parents were (James and Sarah), I was able to find baptisms for all but one of their children, the one being William. Now I'm questioning everything I've been told but all of these people seem to have better research so I'm not sure.

I think their sources come from a Tithe map. From what I've been told, James Dunn and Daniel Dunn had land on Dunn's Bank. They then gave that land to their children. James gave his to two men, William and Silas Dunn. I suppose it only makes sense for James to give his land to two of his sons. William and Silas both lived at Dunn's Bank until they died and then their children lived there. I went a bit crazy and copied down everyone who lived on Dunn's Bank from the 1841 Census up to the 1911 Census.

I have a hard time tracing my ancestors to before the censuses. It's very frustrating and I don't like to just guess at who the parents are.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Who were the witnesses at the 1803 marriage?
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
This is some of the information I received from another descendant of James Dunn:

"...We know that James married Sarah Forest at Clent in 1777. One of the witnesses on his wedding certificate was a Richard Waldren. The Waldren family were important Scythe makers in Clent and Belbroughton and also had a workshop in Brierley Hill..."

This man also mentioned that James Dunn had been baptised at Kingswinford. I've found his siblings baptisms on Family Search but I haven't found his. I might have to buy the Kingswinford Parish Records. I wonder if William Dunn was baptised there as well. This contact said that James and Sarah's younger children were baptised at Brierley Hill so maybe Kingswinford Parish Records will give me an answer one way or the other.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
Oh sorry. I completely read that wrong. The witnesses at the 1803 marriage were John Shaw and Richard Fiddian. I see those names come up often as witnesses.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 census...Wlm states that he was born at Cradley, may be worth looking for bapt.in
surrounding areas..Dudley-Rowley Regis-Halesowen
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
Yes I should look there too. All of his siblings seem to have been baptised at Park Lane Presbyterian in Cradley and the records say they lived at Dunn's Bank in Kingswinford. It starts with his brother Silas in 1789. The siblings born before Silas were baptised at Brierley Hill. I suppose William was baptised somewhere else. Maybe he wasn't baptised?
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 July 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
There is a William Dunn baptised St Michael Brierley Hill 7.5.1786 parents William and Ann

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /