Author Topic: Wallis Darlington WW1  (Read 1116 times)

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wallis Darlington WW1
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Wallis Darlington from Dublin served I believe in Royal Irish Rifles in WW1. Wallis married Matilda Adams in 1908 and they lived in Dublin from where he enlisted. He may have been a prisoner of war but survived and died in 1945 here in Dublin. My interest revolves around the birth of my mother and her twin brother in Liverpool in November 1916. Have their birth certs and Wallis and Matilda are the recorded parents. However, a few weeks later in January 1917 they were baptised here in Dublin and the parents were recorded as Matilda and Patrick Walsh. In August 1920 they were baptised to a couple named Derwin who were my grandparents until 1994, 20 years after mothers death in 1974 we discovered the great mystery. Am now at a brick wall and simply do not know who mothers father was, was in Wallis Darlington on the birth cert or was it this Patrick Walsh on the baptism cert. Now if I could find that Wallis Darlington was actively engaged in soldier duties 9/10 months before the twins were born in November 1916 my search would be narrowed to Patrick Walsh. Wouldn't I love someone here to solve my problem !! Thanking you in anticipation   

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wallis Darlington WW1
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
Could he have served under another name?  That name does not appear in the POW records (although I understand you did only say he might have been a POW), there is no medal record which suggests either no war service or service in UK only and no other service record pops up.

What does the birth cert say about his occupation - a soldier is usually recorded as such with details.  Do you have his age at death.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks maxD for responding.

Wallis was born Wallis Darlington in 1884 Dublin and died in 1945 In Dublin so age 61.

There can be confusion over his forename in the spelling, have seen Wallace used instead of Wallis

Before enlisting he was a train fitter on the railways in Dublin. On the birth cert for the twins in 1916 he was described as a Private and Engineers Fitter. Have the notion from somewhere his regiment or unit operated from a base in Liverpool and may have been a transport corp.

Disappointed he is not on POW records as this info was given to me by his adopted daughter who only died in February of this year.

Would you mind please a recheck using Wallace Darlington rather than Wallis Darlington ?

Thanking you

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
He's on medal rolls as Leinster Regiment then Railways Operating Department within Royal Engineers.
Edit
Should have said there's a W Darlington that COULD be him as he worked on railways.The 1st theatre of war though would be possibly Mesopotamia as its annotated 5a he entered that theatre of war in July 1915
1915 Star roll he then has a Royal Engineers Waterway and Railways number.

Sorry just found this guy is listed as Walter Darlington so unless it's wrongly transcribed he's not your man.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
Looked again with variations of Wallis and initial W.  No POW record and no service record that has personal information.  You may know that medal cards don't have personal info and that some 70% of detailed records were destroyed by bombing in the second war so you were always up against it!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk