Author Topic: James Graves and Mary Fitch marriage  (Read 1541 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James Graves and Mary Fitch marriage
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,

James was born in 1804, in Radwinter. Mary was born in 1816, also in Radwinter. They would have married before 1846, most likely in Radwinter.

I would appreciate any information, parentage or anything,

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Graves and Mary Fitch marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:11 BST (UK) »
You have a discrepancy. The title says James Graves yet the text in the first post says Charles.

If James is correct then

Name James Graves
Residence Place: Radwinter, Essex, England
Christening Date: 11 May 1803
Christening Place: Radwinter, Essex, England
Father's Name: James Graves
Mother's Name: Mary
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Charles was their son. I always get the two confused. Thanks for the information.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
James Graves widower married Mary Halls spinster 16 February 1839 at Radwinter, witness Abraham Halls and Robert Mascall. His father James a labourer, her father William also a labourer.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks. That must be the one. Fitch was given on my ancestor's birth record in 1846, but who knows how these things get onto records.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
His first wife was Mary Teller/Tellis 21 June 1801 at Radwinter, witness James Carter. #29 in register

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks. That must be the one. Fitch was given on my ancestor's birth record in 1846, but who knows how these things get onto records.

It is possible you picked the wrong Charles Graves

GRAVES, CHARLES     MMN HALLS  
 GRO Reference: 1845  J Quarter in SAFFRON WALDEN  Volume 12  Page 246

GRAVES, CHARLES     MMN FITCH  
 GRO Reference: 1846  M Quarter in SAFFRON WALDEN  Volume 12  Page 250
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:37 BST (UK) »
New GRO index
Charles Graves registered 1845 Saffron Walden has mothers maiden name as HALLS that matches parents James and Mary.
There is another Charles Graves registered 1846 Saffron Walden mothers maiden name FITCH

Which one is yours, if its FITCH then James and Mary quoted are not his parents.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
I'm honestly not sure. It could be either of them now I see it. I'll look at the mother's names for his siblings.