Author Topic: James Graves and Mary Fitch marriage  (Read 1540 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Graves and Mary Fitch marriage
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
It was Thomas Graves that married Sophia Fitch the parents of the other Charles Graves

Thomas Graves
Marriage  29 Oct 1831
Place Great Sampford, Essex, England
Spouse's Name  Sophia Fitch
Note
married 29 Oct 1821

Yes there is a discrepancy in the date but I would think 1831 is correct going on the age of their other children but worth checking
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
Looking at the registrations of Harriet and Robert the correct parents of your Charles are James Graves and Mary Halls
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:49 BST (UK) »
You need to go back to the last known facts, that of your grandfather or start again from your own father and mother with their marriage certificate.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
So it's James and Mary Graves (Halls).

I'm descended from them through my great-grandmother Eva M. Goddard (Thorogood). Her mother was born Emily Graves, in Ashdon, in about 1867. Her parents were Charles and Hannah Graves (Thake), both natives of Radwinter.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 06:23 BST (UK) »
Did you get her birth certificate as there were 2 Emily Graves born within the same registration quarter registered Saffron Walden. 1867
One to Charles and Hannah mmn THAKE, vol 04a page 409
The other to George and Emma mmn GREEN  vol 04a page 407

Who was Emily's father when she married ?

Same goes for Charles Graves there are 2 born 1846

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 07:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, the other Graves lived in Great Sampford, while Emily Graves was born in Ashdon and grew up in Radwinter.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 07:13 BST (UK) »
Plus there is a marriage certificate for her parents during their stay in Ashdon, before they returned to Radwinter.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 07:35 BST (UK) »