Author Topic: Jane Wynne b c 1830 Llanenddwyn  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Wynne b c 1830 Llanenddwyn
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
Looking for some advice/thoughts please. Thanks to the helpful replies to a previous post I have managed to trace my great great grandmother Jane Wynne. She married my 2 x great grandfather Evan Anwyl in Llanbedr in 1852. Her father is recorded as a John Richards. She is listed as a Spinster and not a widow so I am unsure as to why she is recorded as Wynne and not Richards.

Looking through the census records I can find Jane in 1841 in Llanenddwyn, aged 11.  However her parents names are John Richards and Margaret Richards. Also here are children Margaret Richards  (9)and John Richards (5).

In 1851 she was at Llanbedr Village, living with her brothers Rowland Jones and John Richards. Rowland is also listed as a witness on her marriage certificate to Evan Anwyl.

Is there a reasonable explanation as to why she would be recorded as Wynne on the census and marriage certificate, rather than a Richards? The same would apply to her brother, Rowland.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Turner - Caernarvonshire, Denbigshire, Merionethshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire
Craig - Glasgow and Co. Antrim
Evans - Merionethshire & Caernarvonshire
Williams - Caernarvonshire & Merionethshire
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Wynne b c 1830 Llanenddwyn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there is this baptism:-

Jane Wynne Richards 27th September 1829 Llanenddwyn Father John Mother Margaret
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Rowland is easy. He is Rowland Jones because he is using a patronymic his dad is John!He may have done this if there was a Rowland Richards already in the area.
Jane is a little more difficult. As patronymics are sometimes used at this time maybe her father John Richards was the son of a Richard Wynne! Hope I haven't confused you.
Ray

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again, the baptism of Rowland was:-

Rowland RICHARD 17th July 1825 Llanenddwyn Father John Mother Margaret
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Keyboard 86 and to you Ray, that is really helpful. I really appreciate the help.

Stephen
Turner - Caernarvonshire, Denbigshire, Merionethshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire
Craig - Glasgow and Co. Antrim
Evans - Merionethshire & Caernarvonshire
Williams - Caernarvonshire & Merionethshire
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline scented

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 August 18 07:02 BST (UK) »
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION PLEASE RE JANE WYNNE-JONES, PARENTS WILLIAM AND ANN NEE GRIFFITHS; JANE BEING BORN IN MURPOETH, DOLGELLY IN ABOUT 1860.  I HAVE TRACED HER TO WAVERTREE, LIVERPOOL, IN 1901 BY WHICH TIME SHE HAD MARRIED OWEN WYNNE AND THEY HAD 2 CHILDREN, DAVID AND EDITH.  PREVIOUS TO THIS HOWEVER SHE APPEARED IN PENISADRE, LLANWRST IN 1881 WITH OWEN BUT ALSO A BABY NAMED OWEN JONES BORN IN RHYL IT APPEARS.   DOES ANYONE KNOW IF SHE HAD BABY OWEN BEFORE SHE MARRIED POSSIBLY?   I CANNOT TRACE A MARRIAGE REGISTRATION FOR JANE AND OWEN SO DO NOT HAVE A DATE TO HELP ME.  ALSO I AM SEARCHING FOR JANE'S DEATH REGISTRATION.   ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS WILL BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.  AND THANKYOU, DIOLCH YN FAWR IN ANTICIPATION.  FROM SCENTED.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 August 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
SCENTED
Had a look at the two census returns, 1881 & 1901, that you mentioned in your post. If I have the right ones, it looks like two different families. Different dates of birth and different places of birth. Only one child in Liverpool, David, no Edith. What is your proven base information?
Ray

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Owen's occupation in 1881 is consistent with his occupation in 1911. Jane's 1881 county of birth is consistent with 1911. Owen's is inconsistent.

The 2 children on the 1911 census can be found on the GRO with mother's maiden name Jones.

"Years married" column shows married some time.

Offline scented

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 21:57 BST (UK) »
I VERY MUCH APPRECIATE BOTH REPLIES TO MINE, FROM RAYBISTRE AND HANES TEULU.  AS I AM AT A VERY ADVANCED AGE I FIND IT DIFFICULT TO CONCENTRATE THESE DAYS. TO BE HONEST THEREFORE I HAVEN'T LOOKED AT THE 1911 CENSUS AS YET BUT WILL DO SO ASAP.  I KNOW THAT 'AUNTY JANE' LIVED IN LIVERPOOL AT ONE TIME AS LATE WILLIAMS RELATIVES IN HARLECH USED TO VISIT HER THERE.   MY ROOT BASE INCIDENTALLY IS A VERY RELIABLE JONES COUSIN WHO HAS HELPED FOLK FIND ANCESTORS ONLINE MANY TIMES!   ANY FURTHER THOUGHTS FROM ANYONE WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED...I WILL GET DOWN TO SEARCHING THE ARCHIVES AGAIN ONE OF THESE DAYS BUT AT MY AGE ALL CHORES ARE CARRIED OUT VERY SLOWLY, DRAT IT!   DIOLCH YN FAWR ETO .THANK YOU BOTH VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INTEREST AND GOOD WARM WISHES TO YOU IN YOUR SEARCHES FOR YOUR OWN FAMILIES.