Author Topic: Missing Poskitt, any ideas?  (Read 4543 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Poskitt, any ideas?
« Reply #45 on: Friday 28 July 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
So, bearing in mind, Sarah Beaumont had a illegitimate son who is/was a Beaumont (Bearmont / Bearman) and she married Thomas Poskitt, we have George (Carter?) Poskitt in 1901 and 1911 at Waterside in Thorne.

I've just found "George Poskitt Beaumont" at Waterside in 1891, surely that's the same man as in 1901 and 1911.

Frank.

Hi again, if the George Poskitt Beaumont in 1891( living previous page to his possible brother Thomas Poskitt) is the same George Poskitt in 1901/1911 on all three census returns he is a Widower, under which name did he marry and when?

And the obvious, if him, just where did the "Carter" come from, and why only on the 1911 do we get any mention of Army pensioner?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 28 July 17 19:00 BST (UK) »
And the obvious, if him, just where did the "Carter" come from, and why only on the 1911 do we get any mention of Army pensioner?

Apart from the mention of being in the Guards for 10 years on the prison record if it is the right man. Could it be that he only started received a pension between 1901 and 1911 so that's why he didn't mention it on earlier censuses while he was working? 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 28 July 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
 ;D OK accept that, but still left with marriage and the Carter forename?!
Keyboard

PS bit late if b c 1830 to claim a pension 1901/1911?

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 28 July 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
....................................................................................PS bit late if b c 1830 to claim a pension 1901/1911?

I wonder if he did :-\ perhaps he was just an old soldier and classed himself as a pensioner, he seems to have been a bit of a character tho', the newspaper article says:

"Up to a few years ago he used to put on his uniform and regalia each Christmas and parade the streets of the town, calling on many of his friends for the customary Christmas box"

However he may have also been a very proud man  :-\ I've trawled through Ancestry and FindMyPast most of the afternoon and have found nothing to help my quest.

Thank you all so much for your continued interest and input.

Frank  :)

Frank.

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 28 July 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
;D OK accept that, but still left with marriage and the Carter forename?!
Keyboard

PS bit late if b c 1830 to claim a pension 1901/1911?

So was "Carter" George?
Marriage etc?
Keyboard86😀

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 28 July 17 22:22 BST (UK) »

So was "Carter" George?
Marriage etc?
Keyboard86

There lies the enigma, I don't know  :-[ I cannot find a "Carter Poskitt" anywhere (hence my opening post), he's only mentioned as Carter in the newspaper article, I/we think Carter is the George in the 1911 and possibly 1901 and 1891 census returns, birth date and birth place match.

Also as groom said, the mention of being in the Guards for 10 years on the prison record for George, if it is the right man.

Nothing can be found of him prior to 1891, all of the great work done by yourself, groom, josey and lizdb and also my contributions don't give us anything concrete, as for a marriage I can't find one.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 29 July 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again, a long shot:-

Marriage George Beaumont 44 occ Labourer No father shown
Ellen Walls 28 Father John Walls occ Soldier
21st September 1874 Hatfield

Burial Ellen Beamount 31st December 1878 Thorne aged 33
Keyboard86

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 29 July 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again, a long shot:-

Marriage George Beaumont 44 occ Labourer No father shown
Ellen Walls 28 Father John Walls occ Soldier
21st September 1874 Hatfield

Burial Ellen Beamount 31st December 1878 Thorne aged 33
Keyboard86

Hi, although we still cannot say if this is George / Carter Poskitt (sometimes could have named himself Beaumont, Beaumont Poskitt etc, etc), it's interesting to note that according to the marriage entry image, George was living at Stainforth which is only separated from Fishlake by the river Don.

Frank.