Author Topic: Catherine Graham - b1754 Netherby Hall  (Read 1519 times)

Offline macca53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Graham - b1754 Netherby Hall
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have this lady in my tree and I understand she is what is known as a gateway person(??).  Can anyone shed any light on how to get further back?  I'm now at her ancestors in the Garforth and Baines lines but no further back with Catherine.

Thanks for any help

macca53

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Graham - b1754 Netherby Hall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
The heart of "Graham Country" is Longtown near Carlisle, Cumberland. I would assume she would be found in Arthuret Parish records (Netherby Hall is in Arthuret parish) or Kirkandrews upon Esk parish which is only about half a mile from the hall but on the other side of the River Esk.

Just wondered what source your information was from and where the term "gateway person" arises?

Chester
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 23:33 BST (UK) »
There's a tree on family search for Catherine Graham of Netherby Hall that goes back to 877!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
877??? Is this an error? Dubious research in the extreme or just a gigantic leap of faith? Even the sovereign's family tree has a few "possibles and probables" when tracing matters back to the ninth century.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
877??? Is this an error? Dubious research in the extreme or just a gigantic leap of faith? Even the sovereign's family tree has a few "possibles and probables" when tracing matters back to the ninth century.
The tree goes back to  Adaloff Comte of Boulange who apparently died on 13 November 933, through various counts, baronets and Scottish kings, which is presumably why she is a gateway ancestor! Opens the gate to recorded history and documents of nobility?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk