Author Topic: Boyd family Finvoy  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boyd family Finvoy
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
My several times great grandfather had a sister Anne McCaldridge of Glengad, Vow, Ballymoney who married John Boyd, son of Alexander Boyd of Mulladuff/Mulladoo, Vow, Ballymoney in Finvoy Church of Ireland in 1852.  Some years later they emigrated to New York where he died, circ 1870s.  She remarried and also died in New York having had a number of other children.

At least one Boyd child accompanied the parents to America, but some remained.  We are interested in tracing these, and any descendants.  Tradition has it that there were 13 children born to Anne, but we don't know how many by each husband.

Irish Geneaology.ie has the marriage of Anne and John, but doesn't have birth images for Boyds of their era.  FamilySearch has the marriage, but no leads on births or baptisms.  I cannot find Alexander John's father on death records.

There is an Alexander Boyd of the correct townland in 1901 census who died early 1900s in his seventies, who could be John's brother named after the father, and there was a David Boyd of same era.  Alexander possibly the brother of John also a daughter who married a David Tweed.  There was a Mary Boyd who may have been a sister of John who married Smyrell.  The problem is that there were just so many Boyds with repetitive Christian names in the townlands of the Vow.

We think they were Finvoy Presbyterians from the census reports.  Any info on John's parentage, siblings, or children who remained at the Vow would be appreciated.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boyd family Finvoy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 08:50 BST (UK) »
Statutory birth registration didn’t start in Ireland till 1864 so you won’t find birth certificates for children born to this couple before that. You might find their baptisms though. If you think they were Presbyterian you could search the local baptism records. Finvoy's start in 1843 and Dunloy in 1841. There’s a copy of both sets in PRONI in Belfast.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
There is at least one Boyd headstone in Finvoy Presbyterian Church-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=722944.msg6252777#new

Added- see here for inscriptions-
http://colerainefhs.org.uk/?page_id=70781

If you are in Coleraine area then the Coleraine Library has church records in their collection (copies of PRONI's microfilms purchased by the local branch of the NIFHS). However, the library is undergoing renovation at the moment and I think the films might be at Portstewart Library.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Elwyn and Aghadowey - thank you.  The graves in Finvoy are most likely some relatives, and I intend to seek out the records formerly in Coleraine - I spent several hours in the old library deciphering copperplate for other relatives, and I miss this resource now I have come to a new branch of research.

I accidently put Mulladoo/Mulladuff when I should have put Maddydoo/Maddyduff as the residence of the Boyds - this is on the other side of Ballymoney.  We are currently centred on the Vow region.

Any other info from other sources would be welcome.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 July 17 00:01 BST (UK) »

If you are in Coleraine area then the Coleraine Library has church records in their collection (copies of PRONI's microfilms purchased by the local branch of the NIFHS). However, the library is undergoing renovation at the moment and I think the films might be at Portstewart Library.

The microfilms are at Portrush Library at the moment.
Elwyn

Offline Jennifer McCue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 18 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how much this helps you, if at all, but my husband is descended from Anne McCaldridge Boyd's second marriage to Alfred Searle. The information I have for her is as follows:

John Boyd's parents: Alexander Boyd and Anne/Nancy Garvey.

John and Anne McC Boyd were married in 1852 in Finvoy, Church of Ireland.
Their children: Jane (b. 1853), John (b.1856, Killymaddy -d. 1932, Ontario, Canada), Nancy Jane (b.1861 Ireland - d. 1929, Brooklyn, NY), and a Thomas, we *think*. [A Thomas Boyd, who fits the age, witnessed the marriage of Jane Mulholland and James McCaldridge in 1888, but we are unsure if he is of this line.]

Anne married Alfred Searle in Brooklyn in 1867 and had James, William, Alfred, Alice, and Elizabeth (1880-1961), and Elizabeth is whose line we are from.

I don't know what other info I might have, but what I do have, I'm willing to share - just reach out! 

Best of luck in your searching!

Offline sam.b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 March 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Might these be relatives ?

Surname(s)   Graveyard   Civil Parish   Graveyard Location   County
BOYD            Vow    Finvoy           Vow                             Antrim
Gravestone Inscription   Erected by Mary and Letitia Boyd, in memory of their dear father John Boyd who died 2nd January 1859, aged 76 years, also their dear mother Elizabeth Boyd who died 14th April 1862, aged 77 years, John Boyd 2nd January 1859 Elizabeth Boyd 14th April 1862

Surname(s)   Graveyard   Civil Parish   Graveyard Location   County
BOYD           Vow           Finvoy             Vow                   Antrim
Gravestone Inscription   Erected by Robert Boyd of Maddykeel to the memory of his wife Mary Ann Boyd who died on the 25th August 1861, aged 81 years, also the above named Robert Boyd who departed this life on the 2nd April 1867 aged 81 years,
Comment   [Sandstone] Mary Ann Boyd 26th August 1861 NT58-77 Robert Boyd 2nd April 1867 NT58-77

Offline Jennifer McCue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 March 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iris! I saw your message to me, but the system will not let me reply. Marguerite is my mother-in-law's 1st cousin. I saw your post and thought, "Oh, there's someone looking for their people!"  Thanks for any help you can render them!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 March 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iris! I saw your message to me, but the system will not let me reply. Marguerite is my mother-in-law's 1st cousin. I saw your post and thought, "Oh, there's someone looking for their people!"  Thanks for any help you can render them!

One more post here with allow you to reply to message!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.