Author Topic: serious changes of opening hours at the NRO  (Read 8528 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: serious changes of opening hours at the NRO
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 July 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
Marilyn, I'm so glad you posted the link to the Peterborough Consistory Court Wills.  I'd not realised that I hadn't checked which court my list of wants from NRO were from and assumed they were all from the same.  When I searched myself I only picked up the Northampton Court listings and not those for Peterborough too.  So now my long list split into those that the LDS have already digitised and those that haven't yet been done has to be double checked to ensure I look at the correct collection. :-X  On the plus side, it may reduce the number I would need to still consult at Northampton.

Its just a shame that NRO didn't get Ancestry to digitise them when they did the PRs in spite of the fact they said at the time they would do.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 July 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
I've been following this with interest because my paternal ancestors are from the County but I live too far way to make use in person of the NRO. I am nevertheless interested in their efforts to digitise records. Is this all being done via Ancestry or do they have their own resources and online access?

Tony

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 July 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
At the moment all there is, is the PRs on Ancestry and an online catalogue which is incomplete, and is very slow.

We thought the Wills were to be done by Ancestry, but there's no sign of them. There's an index to them on FindMyPast
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 July 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Do you know whether Ancestry adds more Northants PRs from time to time or plans to, or have they listed everything that is available? As you know FindMyPast recently uploaded Leicestershire PRs, another county I have serious interest in, and my impression, right or wrong, is that there are more of them than there are of the Northants records on Ancestry. That may be because there are more records in Leicestershire or because there are still more to come on Ancestry.

My sub to Ancestry just expired but having looked through the Northants records ad nauseam I think that I have exhausted everything that is of interest to me.  So the reason for paying again is very limited.

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 July 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Do you know whether Ancestry adds more Northants PRs from time to time or plans to, or have they listed everything that is available?

Sorry, Tony, no idea. But I rather think that everything that is going on Ancestry, is already on there. Unless anyone knows differently?
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Dorset - Westlake

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 July 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
There are, as often happens with Ancestry (and for that matter FindMyPast), registers that haven't been digitised.  Roade is one example, there is a great chunk missing but when I mentioned this to the Archives last year I got a somewhat sarcastic reply from the Project Manager about how disappointing that must be.  I got the impression the update that was done last year in about May was probably the last to be uploaded to Ancestry but could be wrong.  It wouldn't surprise me if there were other gaps unfortunately. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 August 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
3331 people at the present moment!
https://www.change.org/p/northamptonshire-county-council-northamptonshire-county-council-don-t-charge-for-visiting-archives/

The comments are worth reading
https://www.change.org/p/northamptonshire-county-council-northamptonshire-county-council-don-t-charge-for-visiting-archives/w?source_location=petition_show

And professional bodies are all standing up to say this is wrong. But the County Council are maintaining total silence.  ::) ::)

There is also now a Facebook group called "Save Northamptonshire County Record Office" on Facebook
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Dorset - Westlake

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
Northampton county records office
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 August 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
Some of you may have seen this... But... I urge you all to sign the petition (38 degrees) .. They are proposing in a couple of weeks to start charging for access to the records... £31.50. Per hour or part thereof will exclude many many people from accessing archives held there. It sets a dangerous precedent, and I am quite heavily involved in the save Northamptonshire County Record Office (there is a page on fb to join). This will price just about everyone out of family history and if you have to travel there, you are looking at around £1000.00 per week...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154664942926860&id=291948396859
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.