Author Topic: serious changes of opening hours at the NRO  (Read 8531 times)

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: serious changes of opening hours at the NRO
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 05 August 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
It would be interesting to know ...

Are the reduced numbers of visitors because folk no longer need to visit to view the parish registers? Most are available on ancestry, but not all.

Is the production of original of records down significantly?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
You would think in some ways that easier access to the parish registers might encourage more to use the NRO to access other documents that aren't already digitised and expand on their research.  I know some people wouldn't but research is so much more than just the PRs.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
I would love to live near ANY county record office and be able to visit.
It must be more than 10 years since I was in Northampton, but I went every day while I had the chance. They were open every day then.
But I can access all kinds of Northants records through familysearch when I am at the FHC. They were microfilmed eons ago.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 07 August 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
For those who haven't actually visited this CRO, it is inaccessible by public transport, and has no shops or cafes within walking distance.

On the contrary, the two bus stops at the top of London Road, a 5min walk from NRO, are served by several buses an hour from/to the town centre, as well as direct buses once an hour from/to Corby, Kettering, Wellingborough and Milton Keynes.
For those who wish to stretch their legs at lunchtime, once safely across the main road at the new lights, the footpath/cycle track to the west takes you to Tesco, and to the east to Wyevale Garden Centre and Waitrose ... all serve refreshments and all are no more than a 15min walk (or a few minutes drive).

Whilst none of us are happy with the changes, let's not paint the picture of NRO any darker than it is already or they'll never get the numbers back up.  :)

They have a coffee machine on site and when I go there I usually take sandwiches and either sit where the machine is,or take my sandwiches back to the car for some air and a change of scenery.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk