Author Topic: NSW circa 1840 births  (Read 2505 times)

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NSW circa 1840 births
« on: Wednesday 26 July 17 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Can anyone tell me where, if at all, births circa 1841 in NSW, might be available please? Looking for Ellen/Helen QUIN/QUINN bn about 1841 in Holbrook or Bathurst area. Parents Owen and Catherine

Many thanks
Meegan

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: NSW circa 1840 births
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 06:48 BST (UK) »
https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx
Quite a few children born to Owen and Catherine but can't see Ellen/Helen
The 1841 birth is Thomas
2356/1841 V18412356 162B Thomas QUINN; Father-Owen; Mother- Catherine

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 07:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks cupoflife - I must have put incorrect data in, duh! But now I need to find my Ellen/Helen - Owen and Catherine seemingly only came to Aust in 1841 and there didn't seem to be a record of them travelling with child. Must do some more research on that

Many thanks
Meegan

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 07:21 BST (UK) »
On one of your earlier threads, you have Owen and Catherine arriving in 1841.    I can see I posted on that thread, with arrival date of 9 August 1841.    I can confirm the ship was the Cadet. 
Here is the digitised image, freely available from NSW State Archives :
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4788&ship=Cadet  No mention of an infant with them.

We need to remember that NOT all the babies born in NSW prior to civil registration were baptised, and further that not all baptisms were recorded in parish registers that NSW BDM has in their Early Church Records.   

What document do you have for Ellen/Helen showing born Holbrook/Bathurst area circa 1840?   Today's Holbrook is a long way from Bathurst, and in the 1840's, today's Holbrook was not known as Holbrook.   I think in the 1840s it was known as Ten Mile Creek.   

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
Is this your Helen?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/157314133  National Advocate, 12 Sept 1905.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 08:21 BST (UK) »
You may already have the following:

NSW ER 1870 WEST MACQUARIE
David EDWARDS, Brownlea Creek freehold
Owen QUINN, Brownlea Creek, freehold

NSW ER 1878 WEST MACQUARIE
David EDWARDS, Hillview, Caloola, freehold
Owen QUINN, Brownlea Creek, freehold

Grevilles PO Directory, 1875 Caloola
David EDWARDS, farmer
Owen QUINN, squatter, Brown’s Ck

JM

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 08:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help again, majm. Do have the ER details but hadn't seen Helen's funeral notice - it is very touching and how I wish I'd known her.

Info re her DOB and place - Helen's death cert says something like Hallbrook or Wallbrook, definitely 2 L's and 2 O's - (perhaps Holbrook near Culcairn?) of death and her age on her headstone, 1841 would be abt the right time. Might see if Wagga Wagga and District FHS have anything

Must search around for any ER or some other directories around 1841 to see where Owen and Catherine moved to when they arrived, that might give me some help. But you are no doubt correct that there's a good possibility she wasn't registered
Once again, many thanks
Meegan

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Holbrook near Culcairn has had many changes of name,  :)  if Wagga cannot help, perhaps Albury may?  Beautiful country around Culcairn, Wallar etc.    They don't write up information in newspapers about funerals like that anymore.   There would have been horse driven hearse, horses with funeral regalia ... I was a young lass observing a funeral pass by in the early 1950s.  All the men on footpath stood to attention, took off their hats.  Total hush ...  I hung onto Dad's hand ever so tight.  Only after the sound of the horses clip clop was getting too soft to hear, did anyone move.  I wriggled, Dad squeezed my hand tighter.  Mother frowned at me.   Years later in a conversation with various family including Dad I mentioned it and asked "whose funeral" ... and the answer came back "It would not matter, it was how we showed respect to those left behind".   Different times now. 

JM

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
Have emailed Wagga but will look at Albury too - thanks for that.

I too remember the solemnity of a funeral cortege. Don't think I ever saw horses but remember everyone paused as the cars went by, lights on and other drivers respectful. My Dad died in 1970 and all the lawn bowlers from his club, in their full white uniforms, lined the street outside the club as we passed. That, more than what I remember was said at the service, made me realise how well respected and loved Dad was.

Brings tears to my eyes now
M