Author Topic: Issues with Ancestry.co.uk?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Issues with Ancestry.co.uk?
« on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Not sure whether this is an issue with my computer or with ancestry.co.uk (it was all fine yesterday)?

I load up ancestry.co.uk; first curious thing is that it doesn't recognise who I am - normally on my home computer I stay logged in to things like ancestry and so my user name comes up in the top right corner - not today.

Other curious thing - in the address bar, to the right, there is a symbol that when I hover over it says that the webpage is trying to load unsafe scripts.  Again, this didn't happen yesterday.

Have I managed to inadvertantly changed settings on my computer (although RC and the BBC both seem to run ok)?  Or is this an ancestry thing?

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with Ancestry.co.uk?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
Definitely something strange going on. I had to log in, which I don't normally have to do. And the log in screen didn't auto-fill as usual. And when I'd logged in, I normally have a list of quick links beside the main search form, but it had disappeared, and a "Products and Services panel was there instead! Which I can neither get rid of, nor change its position. I've put my Quick Links back, but it's now so far down the page it's nearly out of sight!

>:(
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
I've just tried and while the home page loaded correctly there were no icons for messages or new hints and when I tried to open the tree this is what I got:

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Keith

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
I have co.uk and stay logged in.  Have just tried it no problems it is still logged in, hint & message icons all there and autofill working.

I am using Chrome with windows 8.1

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
Ah. For some reason, clicking anywhere on the top bar is taking me to the .com site, not the .co.uk site!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
Ah. For some reason, clicking anywhere on the top bar is taking me to the .com site, not the .co.uk site!

Yep - I've just done a search from the home page, which was displaying address as .co.uk - results came up, but with the top bar now showing .com

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
There are several complaints about this on the Ancestry UK Facebook page.  I reported it to them a number of hours back as couldn't sleep.  As per normal, got the standard try another browser, clear cookies etc response.  If anyone is having the problem and has a Facebook account, I would suggest reporting it to them because until they get a lot of reports, they will, as per normal, not do anything about it because they claim it is your PC.

I'm wondering if they have turned off the "old" homepage and are forcing everyone to use the new one which is missing things like Quick Links. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Prawncocktail, sounds like you're getting the same fun and games as I got a few weeks back - see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=772235.0

I found that if I used Chrome rather than IE11 my old home page was still there, and then a couple of days later my IE11 home page had reverted to what it was before, except that as you've found there's this enormous banner at the top which can't be moved has at its top right corner the palest, most insignificant "x" I've ever seen.  Note to self:  get new glasses!

Probably something to do with making it touch-screen friendly, but I'm sure I'm not alone in using an old Win7 computer and preferring the keyboard over the mouse.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
Mine has changed so that it is reporting the fact that the website uses cookies as a top banner which I've done everything to get rid of - even resorting to the 'learn more' hyperlink in the hope it would disappear but it won't.  It's really annoying.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire