Author Topic: Deaths of great-great-great-grandmother and 3x great-great-great-grandmother  (Read 2159 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths of great-great-great-grandmother and 3x great-great-great-grandmother
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
There is a Florence Pepper on the free search for the 1939 register that could be her in Leyton reg dist, Essex  :-\

I wonder  ???
Deaths Mar qtr 1955 
Florence Pepper age    81   
Essex S. W. reg district    5a   259
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths of great-great-great-grandmother and 3x great-great-great-grandmother
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
It could be her. Only problem being that my grandad would have been 16, and thought that all of his grandparents had died before his birth or childhood.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
Do you have a precise birthdate for Florence Harding which you can check against the 1939 Register entry for Florence Pepper?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't. She was born in about 1873 in St. Martin-in-the-fields, so you can find her birth record for the months. Her mother's maiden name was Wyatt.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 13:53 BST (UK) »
It is quite possible that he was unaware of her existence.
Things were different in the 1950's a lot of families did not have cars or telephones.  Communication was generally by post  ;D   She may have had dementia or something similar - If she was in an 'institution' visiting was not encouraged like it is today.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's all possible. The only picture he has of her is her in a wheelchair, so there's a chance she lived elsewhere. He visited his aunts and uncles on his father's side, in London (East Ham mainly), but his mother had no surviving relatives. I'm currently staying with my grandparents in Cambridge, and my grandad's going to get down all the birth/marriage/death records later, so I'll take a look to see if there's something that escaped his attention.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Florence Harding birth registration was September quarter 1872 - Strand Registration District, page 575
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. That explains why she comes up as being born in 1873 in the censuses.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't. She was born in about 1873 in St. Martin-in-the-fields, so you can find her birth record for the months. Her mother's maiden name was Wyatt.

Her birthplace was given as St Martin le Grand in the last census (which is in the City of London).

In 1901 she states it simply as "London".

However, if you're sure from other sources about her Wyatt mother then BumbleB's reference is the one.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)