Author Topic: Missing surname  (Read 850 times)

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing surname
« on: Wednesday 26 July 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be willing to check the East Lydford baptism register for me please.  I am searching my 5 x great grandmother and there is a possible baptism entry for her in East Lydford on 2nd September 1738   There is a marriage between Love Borger/Berger and John Naish in 1766.  The 1738 transcribed baptism copy just gives the child's forename as Love and the date, so not really enough for me to claim her as my relative as there is no surname or parents listed.  I feel that they are the same person but no proof.  It may be that the surname is there but not legible but with the possibility of it being Borger it may be possible to see it.

My 4 x g. grandmother was Love Naish born about 1774 (according to her burial age) and in 1851 she states she was born in Lydford.

There is a baptism for a Thomas Naish son of John and Love Naish in 1766 but nothing for Love born about 1774 although I have not found the register for that date online yet.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

EDIT.  I have just accessed the Baptism/Burial register for East Lydford and have been able to decipher the writing  and unfortunately, the baptism of Love in 1738 relates to Love ye daughter of Gabriel and Deborah IVY or JOY. it could be either, so disappointingly, not mine.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Missing surname
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 17:52 BST (UK) »
The entry for 2 Sep 1738 is difficult to read, but I think it records the birth (not baptism) of Love, daughter of Gabriel and Deborah IVY. (The spelling of the parents names is odd, something like Garible and Dearbe, but there are entries for other children of the same parents where it is much clearer.)

David

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Thank you, that is what I found too.  There are some transcriptions in the name of JOY as well as IVY and I could not decide what it was but as it is not the one I was looking for, it is no importance.

I cannot find a burial for Love Naish snr. either so I am finding it very difficult to be sure I am looking for the right person.  The positive entry that I have is for  Love Naish who married James Hollard in 1800 and as she states in 1851 that she was born in Lydford, I feel that the marriage of John Naish to Love Borger must be that of her parents.  I had a baptism for Love junior as being in Ubley but that now seems to be unlikely, but again, it is the only entry I can find for a Love Naish.

The Lydford baptism register is a bit confusing but I have gone through every  entry on Ancestry but could not find Love or any other Nash/Naish  born c 1774.

Thanks again.
Elizabeth

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
John and Love Naish appear to have been in Bath in 1772, baptising a daughter Sally there on 8 March. (Ancestry have the surname as Nash, but it looks more like Naish to me.)

David

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 July 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

That looks very interesting,, I will have to follow that one up, although at that period of time, it is very difficult to get anything else to back it up.  I will let  you know if it is the right one.

Thanks again.
Elizabeth