Author Topic: Does anyone recognise either his medals or his badge?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognise either his medals or his badge?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 July 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
The Korea medal was the only medal with that sort of ribbon colour/pattern awarded in the post WW2 era and,  as Philip points out, the other medal would be the UN Medal awarded automatically to holders of the former.  Delete my "might suggest" in my earlier post, insert "is most likely". 

Date and place of the marriage would help even further. Many similarities to my own mid 1960s wedding!

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 July 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
Free BMD brings up two Patrick Williams's married to Jo's in the early '60s, none in the mid/late '50s.

One, Patrick J. Williams, married Joyce Holland in Bolton, 1st qtr 1961.
The other, also Patrick J, married Joan Green in Swindon, 3rd qtr '63

If these look likely you may be able to further information from local newspapers of the time.

Although the collar dogs do look a bit like the Devons' star and crown the centre of the badge seems to be of a dark colour, possibly even enamelled. From memory I don't recall the castle in the Devon's dress badge ever being anything other than silver.
Looking at a blowup of your photo I wonder if the central device is a rose ? I can't find a badge like this but wonder if it is one of the Lancashire Regiments ?

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 July 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

If either of those is who we are looking for then it can't be the Devons anyway. They became Devon and Dorsets in 1958 with a new cap badge. Likewise, West Surrey's became first battalion Queens regt with new cap badge in 59.

No access to cap badges at this moment but I don't recall any Lancashire regts with 8 pointed star with crown.

John915

Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 July 17 20:00 BST (UK) »
I would ask the OP - if we were able to confirm his regiment (and for the record I go with Frank from the start - RASC) would that confirm/not confirm, something you know/suspect already?
The date and the name of the lady are unknown, so if we were to reach consensus on the regiment, would that solve a puzzle?

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 July 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I'm inclined to agree maxD, having I think exhausted the other possible lines with similar cap badges.

John915

Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline davidgoldburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 July 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
The RASC is certainly a potential. We-You guys here- have determined his brother John Williams was also RASC.  The family really does talk about Pat...ive yet to realise why...
My aunt has suggested that Pat had a wife called "Jo" so Joyce would be close? Will keep badgering the family for more knowledge  :)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 July 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
Is Patrick still alive? If not, his wife may have registered the death, or she may be mentioned in a will - at least giving her forename.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 July 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
If the family are able to tie down the marriage date/place the £9.25 will get them a certificate which should have his regiment and maybe even his number (mine does!).

(The dark colour in the middle of the badge is the collar material showing through the EIIR in the centre).

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 July 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
has suggested that Pat had a wife called "Jo" so Joyce would be close?
I think the 'Joan' may be more likely for a 'Jo' abbreviation; Joyce is more usually shortened to 'Joy'.

ADDED: I see from restoration thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=775801.msg6296623
that Patrick was born 1932.

For what it's worth  ::) an ancestry tree
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/3165008/person/-1766491148/facts
has a Patrick Joseph M William born 4 Jul 1932 Penzance, died August 1998 Warwickshire.

However Max's suggestion of tying down the marriage date/location & obtaining the marriage certificate should answer all the questions!!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON