Author Topic: meaning of "of the chapel" in 1579  (Read 764 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
meaning of "of the chapel" in 1579
« on: Wednesday 26 July 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
The attached snippet is from the parish register of Bodmin, Cornwall. 

The burials for June 24 and Januuary 15 1579 have me confused.  I have never seen the annotation "of the chapel" and am hoping some knowledgeable Rootschatter can enlighten me as to its significance.

Many of the burials for this and adjacent years give the relationship to the head of the family, sometimes an occupation and occasionally the descriptions "base" and "lazar" which I have seen many times.  But this one has me stumped.  Were they ex-nuns?  If so, it scuppers my idea that Margerie was my widowed multiple times-great grandmother.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: meaning of "of the chapel" in 1579
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this page at GENUKI - http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CON/Bodmin

It appears that at different times there were a variety of chapels within the parish, presumably all under the jurisdiction of the parish church. I suspect these entries mean the person either worshipped habitually at one of the chapels, or lived in an area which was customarily deemed to "belong" to one of them.

I don't think you're looking at nuns here, but it will take a Cornish expert (ie not me) to tell you exactly which chapel it might have been, and where, in 1579.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 20:23 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this page at GENUKI - http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CON/Bodmin

It appears that at different times there were a variety of chapels within the parish, presumably all under the jurisdiction of the parish church. I suspect these entries mean the person either worshipped habitually at one of the chapels, or lived in an area which was customarily deemed to "belong" to one of them.

I don't think you're looking at nuns here, but it will take a Cornish expert (ie not me) to tell you exactly which chapel it might have been, and where, in 1579.

The sound you may just hear is me banging my head on the wall and shouting "Doh!"

That just hadn't occurred to me.  I had discounted the idea of a nonconformist chapel (too early), but hadn't thought about a parish having smaller chapels dotted around the parish as well as the main church.  I now have a rather nice picture in my head of my aged ancestor too arthritic to walk all the way to St Petroc's but still being able to worship locally.

A thousand thanks.
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 July 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
The sound you may just hear is me banging my head on the wall and shouting "Doh!"

;D ;D ;D
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 July 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
Elston, Nottinghamshire also had a Chapel of Ease.( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_of_ease )
"The other church in the Parish is Elston Chapel, these days known as The Old Chapel, which is situated in a field to the north and on the very edge of East Stoke parish.  It is believed that it once formed part of, and is all that now remains of, the mediaeval leper Hospital of St Leonard’s, which was rebuilt in 1577. Until 1872, Elston had for centuries been administered as two separate parishes ; Church Parish covering the south of the village and Chapel Parish the north. The building was actually in the parish of East Stoke before the boundary changes of 1884, but was nevertheless always known as Elston Chapel."
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley