Author Topic: Thomas Hood - Born c.1803 STRETTON STAFFORDSHIRE?  (Read 4066 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Thomas Hood - Born c.1803 STRETTON STAFFORDSHIRE?
« on: Wednesday 26 July 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thomas Hood born Stretton, Staffordshire circa 1803

Oliver Hood, born Gt Wyrley 1846 Mother nee (Pozner per GRO Births online), believed to be Poyner.

In the 1851 Census and 1861 Census Oliver Hood's Father was Thomas Hood, Forgeman (who had married a Poynor), are living at Gt. Wyrley and his Birthplace - Stretton, Staffs, but I cannot find a Thomas Hood birth record for Stretton?

I can see a Stretton, near Stretton Hall, Staffs and an area of Burton on Trent is called Stretton.

Any local Staffordshire knowledge re places called Stretton in Staffordshire, a hamlet perhaps, in a Parish?

EDIT: Seems there are many gaps in the BTs and I am wondering if the BTs were used. I will have to get sight of the actual main Baptism Register images.

Search on Family Search, no name (blank), just with:- Stretton, Staffordshire, England 1800 - 1805

Quite a few obviously saying Stretton, Staffordshire for their Birthplace on the Census ...

An Ann Wood baptised there c.1805?
Hannah Procter c.1801?
Ann Leck c.1804
William Dyke c.1804
Mary Smallwood c.1804
George Howell c.1801
Joseph Page c.1803
Eliza Croxall c.1803

Regards Mark

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hood - Born c.1803 STRETTON STAFFORDSHIRE?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 July 17 08:22 BST (UK) »
Cannock - 1 March 1846

Oliver, son of Thomas (Forgeman) and Mary of Churchbridge

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 17 09:30 BST (UK) »
Looking on familysearch at the catalogue, it comes up with two places called Stretton in Staffordshire. One is Stretton near Burton upon Trent and the other is Stretton near Penkridge. This latter place seems to be the most likely after looking at where the family is living in the Censuses. Unfortunately I cannot find anything available on line re the Parish Registers.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 July 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
According to the parish list on FindMyPast there are baptism records on-line for:

Stretton (no church named) 1813-1900
St Mary, Stretton with Claymills 1842-1900
St John, Stretton 1659-1876 - (this is the one near Penkridge - from Genuki)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 July 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
I've just looked through the baptisms at Stretton St John and nothing for a Thomas Hood.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 July 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
Cannock - 1 March 1846

Oliver, son of Thomas (Forgeman) and Mary of Churchbridge

Hello

Thank you for all the replies.

According to the GRO Index Mary was Mary Pozner, believed to be an error for Poyner and Poynor and their marriage took place in the Liverpool area, according to Rootschatter Claire.

Thomas Hood the Forgeman claimed he was born Stretton Staffordshire and trying to work back from him.

Stretton, Staffordshire, Births between 1800 and 1805, I have no fewer than 21 males (not descriminating as the Females tend to marry and change their birth surname) in various Census claiming to be born Stretton.

One family of William Hodson (birth about 1801) claiming in the 1861 Census, to have child births at Stretton, Staffordshire, doesn't seem to have registered those children with the Registry Office, so I can't check to see what their Birth Registration area was. However, in the 1851 Census they are residing at Stretton, Burton upon Trent.

I see that Burton upon Trent was a place of religious dissent and nonconformism and about 30 Registers for the Town, are at various Staffs Archives.

I suspect nonconformist registers not online, might be my problem.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Information was given to me privately and related to persons who have died within the last 100 years.

A Gt. Grandson of George Hood of Selby (via Son, James Hood) acquired a citation during his lifetime which mentions:- Pte H. P. Hood, 1917, Bedford.

Claire has managed to acquire Discharge Papers for a Herbert P Hood (recruited at York in 1916) called up 30 December 1916 and becoming a Pte in January 1917 at the Bedford Office (stamped Recruiting Office Bedford) and Wife was also residing at Bedford at the time, confirming him to be born Wyrley, Staffordshire, in 1880.

Both Claire and myself have worked this back separately (during the last week) to see where it leads to and we both get:-

1851 Census Wat? St Road, Great Wyrley

Thomas Hood, Head, Mar, aged 48, Forgeman Iron, born Staffordshire, Stretton.
Mary Hood, Wife, Mar, aged 45, Forgeman's Wife, born Staffordshire, Great Wyrley.
Fanney Hood, Dau, U, 23, Nurse Maid, born Staffordshire, Great Wyrley.
Joseph Hood, Son, U, 21, Forgeman Iron, Staffordshire, Great Wyrley.
Susanna Hood, Daur, U, 17, Maid of ale work, Staffordshire, Great Wyrley.
Francis Hood, Son, U, 16, Forgeman Iron, Staffordshire, Great Wyrley.
William Hood, Son, aged 13, Scholar, Staffordshire, Great Wyrley.
Jabez Hood, Son, aged 11, Scholar, Staffordshire, Great Wyrley.
Edmund Hood, Son, aged 9, Scholar, Staffordshire, Great Wyrley.
Oliver Hood, Son, aged 5, Scholar, Staffordshire, Great Wyrley.

We'll be checking the Nonconformist Registers and any Parish images not online too, asap, to track this Thomas Hood, born Stretton, Staffordshire, about 1803 and family, down!

Thank you for your interest.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 July 17 18:29 BST (UK) »
Lichfield archives would be a good place to start up the A5 trunk road say 30 min from Nuneaton area
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure I understand your thinking ?

From  Pte H. P. Hood, 1917, Bedford. there should be one paternal son, father, grandfather, Gt grandfather route back to George Hood d 1845 Selby a cooper/brewer/tanner if that's the case but you seem to have two routes back in a V form from Pte Hood being one to George Hood Selby via son James and another to a Thomas Hood Staffs unless they were brothers ? Uncle, nephew side shoot off   George's father -Grandfather-forefathers or through another son of George bother of James

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth