Author Topic: Thomas Hood - Born c.1803 STRETTON STAFFORDSHIRE?  (Read 4067 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hood - Born c.1803 STRETTON STAFFORDSHIRE?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 04 August 17 22:17 BST (UK) »

I do feel that 'Congriff' is Congreve in Staffs. Although if this John Hood knew where he was born - why put he was born out of county on the 1841 census ?

Weird - I was looking at a family in the North East before - a son was a Charles Attwood Hood  ::)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 05 August 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping that the Hoods might be Tenants of Congreve. There was a Forge at Congreve too, so I'm hopeful Forgemen John Hood will show up and in their 18th Century Staffordshire Rentals and Accounts, which are described as numerous.

Added: In the Congreve Mss catalogue, the Forge is described as Congreve Mill & Forge and in a 1766 Counterpart Lease as an "Iron Mill and Forge".

Don't know if Congreve House, home of Mr James Attwood, Esquire is the same place, as the Congreve Estate of Congreve and Stretton.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 05 August 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
A forge man puddler was a man who in general terms looked after the light furnace, responsible  for preparation of clay, iron mix glace-shot firing to pot ........for the mold man or pot maker........

Drop forge man responsible for usually making steel from irons, minerals or scrap, molding steel billets and machine hammering out the steel billets (forging ) but in general terms a heavy furnace man and heavy professional hammerman

Village light/medium steel work - forge man/blacksmith/farrier (self explanatory)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 05 August 17 20:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

Been on the telephone & the collection sounds very interesting. There are Congreve and Stretton Staffordshire Surveys, Rentals and Accounts.

From 1551 into the 17th Century the Congreves even had their own Book of Births, Deaths and Marriages, which also record the numerous children of Thomas Congreve.

--------

I've seen a Probate relating to another late H. P. Hood (a Private enlisting in 1919, too late really) who descended from a Hood family in Norfolk, but it looks as if Pte Herbert Percy Hood (enlisted late 1916, Private in 1917) born in the Parish of Wyrley 1880 is our man in the citation, who is traced back to Iron Forgeman Thomas Hood, born Stretton, Staffordshire, about 1803.

Incidentally, we have Hoods in my direct line carrying Herbert and Percy in their forenames, born 1880s.

I just hope Pte H. P. Hood's ancestors are linked to my known Hood tree and that this is not one of those same surname items, that are sometimes purchased by families.

--------

There is a claim (not checked) that the Congreve family, have links with William Congreve of Bardsey, Yorkshire?

"William, the sonne of Mr. William Congreve, of Bardsley Grange, was baptised, February 10th, 1669."

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 05 August 17 21:53 BST (UK) »

William Congreve born 1669 died in 1729 and is buried in Poets Corner in Westminster Abbey.

His parents ( William C and Mary Browning were both from Staffordshire)

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Congreve,_William_(1670-1729)_(DNB00)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 07 October 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thanks Claire and dobfarm.

There was a reference in the Selby Abbey Graves & Churchyard book of circa 1915 (in Selby Abbey), to Mary PEARSON (nee Snar / Snarr) Widow of Martin Pearson (Tailor) of Selby, dying BREWOOD, Staffordshire. Brewood was in the Registration District of Penkridge, so living in the area to the Hoods on this thread.

Martin PEARSON and Mary Pearson living next door to a COOK couple in the 1841 Census at Gowthorpe, Selby.

Martin PEARSON and [?] COOK shown together in the 1839 Selby Rate Book too.

ADDED

Some of the parentage of Mary Pearson (nee Snar) originate in Eastrington "Easterington" [near New Port] according to the Selby Register.

The mystery George Hood of Selby acquired his Wren Lane, Selby, Malt Kiln from John Clarkson, Farmer of New Port, Eastrington (formerly occupied by Henry Mitton, Maltster of Snaith, Yorkshire).

I'm wondering if this Martin Pearson (Grandson of Jonas Pearson of Castleforth) is part of the Pearson family, I am seeking.

New Port, Parish of Eastrington
http://www.howdenshirehistory.co.uk/villages/newport-history.html
John Clarkson, Farmer and Corn Miller.
George Cock, Farmer.

Methodist Chapel there from 1780s.

2nd Map (in link) has Eastrington (also Sandholme and Staddlethorpe (George Cockin residence) nearby)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6284494#msg6284494

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 07 October 17 20:32 BST (UK) »

William Cooke ( M Pearsons neighbor) was born in Holme upon Spalding Moor.

His father John Cook was a Corn Miller from Howden - married Sarah Clement by licence at Leeds 10 Nov. 1806.

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 08 October 17 12:57 BST (UK) »

William Cooke ( M Pearsons neighbor) was born in Holme upon Spalding Moor.

His father John Cook was a Corn Miller from Howden - married Sarah Clement by licence at Leeds 10 Nov. 1806.

Thank you Claire

Incidentally, Holme on Spalding Moor, was where my 3 X Gt Grandmother Sarah Hood died, James Marshall of Holme on Spalding Moor, Son-in-Law, was the informant (Father of Harold Hudson Marshall).

Mark