Author Topic: Thomas Hood - Born c.1803 STRETTON STAFFORDSHIRE?  (Read 4056 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hood - Born c.1803 STRETTON STAFFORDSHIRE?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 July 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
The Great Grandson (James Hood's line) of George Hood of Selby gave this to another family member in their line and those surviving him, know nothing more.

We hope it has passed sideways from an unknown Hood line, to the known line from James Hood, Son of George (marr 1815).

Until, I research back further, I don't know, how and where this separate line will join into our tree.

More recently acquired mid 20th Century correspondence confirm that one in my Hood line obviously knew a Chapman and therefore likely knew some members descending from James Hood of Selby, suggesting some of the wider Hood family was known, to my line who died about 70 years ago.

I'm afraid my Hood Grandfather was killed on War Service in Action on an Aircraft returning from France and my Hood Gt Grandfather died soon after when Dad was only 7 years old.

Mark

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 July 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Like everyone else I'm unable to find a baptism for Thomas, but note that a David Hood was a witness to Thomas's marriage to Mary Poynor and was also baptising children at the same church.  David was a Forgeman at the potteries and one of the baptisms gives his wife's maiden name as Tomlinson.

The 1851 census gives his age as 62 & born Congrave - possibly Congreve, which Wikipedia tells me is a manor house and its former land in Penkridge.

Baptism: 24 Apr 1790 Penkridge, David Hood s/o Joseph
Marriage: 14 Apr 1811 Rugeley, Staffs. David Hood & Sarah Tomlinson

The same couple named a son Thomas:
28 May 1820, Burton on Trent, Thomas s/o David & Sarah Hood, Clay Mills, Forgeman.

It would seem reasonable to assume that David & Thomas are related - possibly brothers or cousins.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 July 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Like everyone else I'm unable to find a baptism for Thomas, but note that a David Hood was a witness to Thomas's marriage to Mary Poynor and was also baptising children at the same church.  David was a Forgeman at the potteries and one of the baptisms gives his wife's maiden name as Tomlinson.

The 1851 census gives his age as 62 & born Congrave - possibly Congreve, which Wikipedia tells me is a manor house and its former land in Penkridge.

28 May 1820, Burton on Trent, Thomas s/o David & Sarah Hood, Clay Mills, Forgeman.

It would seem reasonable to assume that David & Thomas are related - possibly brothers or cousins.

Hello Jomot

Good to hear from you and thank you for this information.

Claire and dobfarm seem to have got this back on the West Yorkshire board, rather than keep it altogether here.

dobfarm has found in the 1851 Census at Stretton, a John Hood, Father, Widower, aged 77, Forgeman, born Congriff, Staffordshire.

I found an Elizabeth Lloyd, born Congriff Staffordshire (for birthplace comparison) born about 1843 in the 1881 England Census. In 1871, her birthplace is given as Whiston and Claire says other Census years she has Whiston, Congriff, Beacon Hill and Penkridge.

Found these places between Penkridge and Stretton, Staffordshire and Congriff (in the Census) is probably Congreve, which fits in with your Manor House lands. Map attached.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 July 17 21:29 BST (UK) »

Joseph Hood bn 1812 Stretton. - No baptism found,

Joseph Hood & Ann Fone marry St Peters Derby 1835

1841 & 51 - Joseph's father John Hood bn c1774 is with the family.

John Hood born Congriff Staffs. as per 1851 census in Staffs.

John Hood 'not born in county' as per 1841 census in Staffs.

As I can't see a baptism for either of these two and both state Stretton as PoB - we wondered if Thomas & Joseph shared some familial link too.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 July 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
PENKRIDGE

Hurd of Congreve

Elizabeth I passed through Penkridge in 1575. (fn. 97) Royalist troops quartered here were worsted in a small skirmish in May 1645. (fn. 98) Richard Hurd (1720 – 1808), Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield (1774–81) and of Worcester (1781–1810), was born at Congreve, the son of John Hurd, a wealthy farmer there, and was educated at Brewood Grammar School. (fn. 99) He was appointed preceptor to the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York in 1776 and declined the Archbishopric of Canterbury in 1783. (fn. 100)

97. Penkridge Par. Reg. 74.
98. Tildesley, Penkridge, 18 n. [A History of Penkridge, ... , by James Carpenter Tildesley]
99. & 100. Dictionary of National Biography

http://www.oxforddnb.com/index/14/101014249/

--------

There was a forge at Congreve, probably on the site of the former mill, by 1717, and its output then and in 1750 was 120 tons. (fn. 108) It continued in use until at least 1832 (fn. 109) but was untenanted c. 1841. (fn. 110)

108. E. Wyndham Hulme, 'Statistical History of the British Iron Trade, 1717–50' (Newcomen Soc. 1928), 8 (copy in W.S.L.); Penkridge Par. Reg. 311.
109. Penkridge Par. Reg. 319; Yates, Map of Staffs. (1799), based on a survey made between 1769 and 1775; S.R.O., Q/RDc 22a; Teesdale, Map of Staffs. (1832). It was stated in 1817 that the forge had been held by an ironmaster named Barker, father of the Miss Barker of Congreve who wrote a novel called 'A Welch Story': Pitt, Staffs. 258. A Thomas Barker, junior, occurs in 1777: S.R.O., D. 260/M/box 16, bdle. a.
110. Tithe Maps and Apportionment, Penkridge (copy in William Salt Library), no. 2798; it was owned by the lord of Congreve.

--------

The surname of Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge, Parish of Catton, Yorkshire, was spelt Hurd in the Register (Thread: Manor of Catwick, near Leven ... Reply #13, regarding Richard Hood)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752071.msg6214889#msg6214889

Mark

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
1841 & 51 - Joseph's father John Hood bn c1774 is with the family.

John Hood born Congriff Staffs. as per 1851 census in Staffs.

Census address for both years is Clay Mills, Stretton.   The Description of Enumeration District states  Stretton is within the parish of Burton on Trent.

David Hood was a witness to Thomas's marriage to Mary Poynor and was also baptising children at the same church.  David was a Forgeman at the potteries and one of the baptisms gives his wife's maiden name as Tomlinson.

So the David Hood b1790 'Congreve' who witnessed Thomas Hood's marriage appears to have a definite link to the John Hood b1774 'Congriff', via Clay Mills at Stretton.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot

There is an earlier John Hood in the Penkridge registers that has quite a few children between 1740 & 1763. Given names that Thomas gave his children,  I think the Hoods we are finding all stem from this John.

Thomas HUDD bn 1744                     Anne Hudd bn 1749
John HUDD bn 1746                         William Hudd bn 1751
George HADD bn 1754                     Abraham Hudd bn 1756
Francis HOOD bn 1759                     James Hood  bn 1763

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
I also wondered about the Joseph Hood of Clay Mills buried Burton on Trent 4 May 1813 aged 66 (bc1747)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 01:43 BST (UK) »

David's father was a Joseph Hood, presuming there is only one Joseph, Davids siblings - Joseph 1776, William 1779, Robert 1780,  Mary 1784.