Author Topic: Lizzie Nagle (nee Callaghan / O'Callaghan) m. 1912 Ballyclough / Castlemagne  (Read 1888 times)

Offline mikeblake101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would like to find the birth of my great grandmother Lizzie Nagle (nee Callaghan / O'Callaghan).

She married Maurice Nagle in 1912 at the Roman Catholic church in Castlemagner.  Her name is Lizzie Callaghan and her father is Patrick O'Callaghan.

Her name on all 4 children's birth records that I can find (born in Ballyclough) is Lizzie Nagle formerly Callaghan or O'Callaghan.

I can't tie her down anywhere else, so don't know if she is officially Elizabeth or Eliza or Lizzie.

However, there is a Mary Callaghan (father Patrick Callaghan) who married a Patrick Nagle in 1908 at the Roman Catholic church in Castlemagner so I have assumed this is her sister and her husband's brother.  I have found this family on the 1911 census, which gives Mary's age as 23, so born around 1888.  This gives several possibilities for their parents with births registered in Kanturk and Mallow between 1886 and 1890.

Any thoughts on where I could look next?

Many thanks

Mike

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lizzie Nagle (nee Callaghan / O'Callaghan) m. 1912 Ballyclough / Castlemagne
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 July 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Mike have you looked at www.irishgenealogy.ie which have the Civil Records & images in some cases depending on year.

Offline mikeblake101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lizzie Nagle (nee Callaghan / O'Callaghan) m. 1912 Ballyclough / Castlemagne
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Yes, that is where I found details about her sister, but I can't seem to find Lizzie on there with any degree of certainty.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 July 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is of any help, but Lizzie's address on the Marriage Certificate is Cecilstown.
Her age is given as "full age" - 21 or over.
The marriage was in the parish of Castlemagner, in the Registrar's District of Kanturk.

Not that that is helping locating Lizzie on the 1911 Ireland census! :-\

(Certificate available on Irishgenealogy.ie)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 July 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Catholic Registers are available to browse at registers.nli.ie

However, baptisms in Castlemagner only run to 1880.
Baptisms in Kanturk run to 1881.
Baptisms in Ballyclough run to 1881.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mikeblake101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 July 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.  Yes, her presumed sister is also listed as living in Cecilstown at the time of marriage, which is a further connection between the two and tantalizing, but doesn't seem to lead anywhere.  Obviously the family home could have been in Cecilstown, but they could also perhaps have been living in as servants, perhaps even with Lizzie inheriting Mary's job when she married.  I'm sure there are many other possible explanations.

Presumably the later baptismal records are available to view in person somewhere - Mallow Heritage centre or at the church or elsewhere.  That would be useful to know if anyone can help.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 July 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Looking at Church Records on Irishgenealogy:

DoB 15 March 1879  at Monkstown
Eliza Callaghan, daughter of Patrick Callaghan and Eliza Flaherty.
Abode Haulbowline

Baptism 7 May 1871 at Bandon
Lizzie Callaghan, daughter of Patrick Callaghan and Honora Murphy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 July 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Lizzie Callaghan and Michael Nagle (1912)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1912/09925/5608263.pdf

Marriage of Mary Callaghan and Patrick Nagle (1908) shows a Maggie Callaghan as one of the witnesses
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1908/10059/5658602.pdf

Can't see any trace of Lizzie/Eliza/etc. in 1901 or 1911 census in Cecilstown or area  ???

This seems to be Maurice Nagle in 1911 livin at home-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Ballyclogh/Longueville/427506

Added- see also
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=775769.0;topicseen
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 July 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
Nicely the baptism of Maurice NAGLE in 1877 is annotated with details of his marriage to Elizabeth O'CALLAGHAN Jul 14 1912 LINK (half way down right hand page)

Marraiges for 1912 are not online but the church record may hold more information on Elizabeth's past and parents

Edited to add
I think this is Lizzie's birth record as Margaret Lizzie O'CALLAGHAN LINK
Father Patrick O'CALLAGHAN, a labourer of Cecilstown and Mother Catherine nee O'CALLAGHAN
She was baptised Elizabeth Margaret CALLAGHAN on Jan 10 1892 in Castlemagner Parish
This is not yet on line but available as a transcription on a paid site
This would tie with aghadowey's previous find showing the witness at Mary's marriage as Maggie
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder