Author Topic: Finger Organ  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Finger Organ
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 July 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
"I avoid google whenever I can"

There are other search engines available.  I am puzzled by someone who is too fastidious to touch Google himself but expects other people to look stuff up for him [or her] and then expresses an unwillingness to even look at the link.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline olwenfls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 July 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hello again- I really appreciate all the helpful comments, but- having had a major problem with identity theft, which has taken me years to sort out properly, I am following advice. I have always had decent security programmes on my various computers, but if you have a problem like the one I'm just recovering from, they are not enough. I don't want Google recording my doings and sending me targeted adverts etc- in fact I have a good adblocker as well, but the problem, without going on too long, is that Google-and some other sites confuse the issue when there is a problem with computer hacking. In my case the problem started in the real world, where my details were passed, by a crooked 'professional' after a legal matter, on to the nastier bits of the internet. For this reason, having just about got things sorted out again, I just don't want to confuse anything or risk anything going wrong again. Nowadays I always think very carefully, and triple check sites like this, for instance.

Anyway, this has all got protracted which I didn't intend- I have copied the links from the original message and will follow them up when I can use an anonymous computer. It's really only of passing interest and not worth taking any risks over.

Offline olwenfls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 July 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Oh- and I'm a her, not a him, and didn't expect anyone to go to enormous trouble- it was a light hearted request (as per the 'Lighter Side') just in case someone could say 'Oh it's such-and-such'. I shall know better in future.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 July 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
Olwen, you've clearly had a very distressing experience and of course it'll take time to move on from that and start to feel safe again.

No-one on RootsChat wants to add to your troubles.  Maybe it would be better if in future you simply said 'Thanks for the links, I'll check them out later', which is all we would wish for.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch