Author Topic: Are these photo's of the same Thompson person? ages and dates required  (Read 1646 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Hello Rootschatters, I have recently had given to me 2 photographs of my Thompson family but not sure if they are of my 2 x Great Grandfather or Great Uncle (or one of each). Can anyone date these photo's from the clothes worn and maybe a rough estimate of their ages which can determine who they were. My 2 x Great Grandfather was born in 1847 and my Great Uncle (his son) was born in 1875. One photo was taken by Osguthorpe (or Osgothorpe) Bros. at Tudhoe Grange Studio, Spennymoor, Co. Durham which is strange as they lived at Gateshead and there would have been numerous studios in that area.
Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Are these photo's of the same Thompson person? ages and dates required
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 July 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
There'n not much in what they're wearing that would give an accurate date as both are formally dressed.
The first is probably 1890's but need to see the back.
The second I would suggest is 1920's/30's.
If there is a 40 year difference they could be the same person however, the first chap looks in his 20's so not someone born 1847.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 17 05:05 BST (UK) »
A clean up of the first one. Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
And the second. Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 12:40 BST (UK) »
And the second. Cheers, Peter.
Hello Peter,
Many thanks for giving the 2 photo's a clean up, certainly improved them, especially the younger person who now comes out nice and sharp. I appreciate what you have done. Regards, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
There'n not much in what they're wearing that would give an accurate date as both are formally dressed.
The first is probably 1890's but need to see the back.
The second I would suggest is 1920's/30's.
If there is a 40 year difference they could be the same person however, the first chap looks in his 20's so not someone born 1847.
Hi Jim, thanks for your information. It looks as though the photo's are of the son rather than his father by the dates you have supplied (the father died in 1912). When you say you need to see the back, I presume you mean the back of the photo to see if any writing/identification marks. Unfortunately all I have is a copy of the original but I have asked to see if there is anything on the back. Thanks once again, Paul

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Paul, as Jim is not logged in at the moment, I will try to answer your question.

The reason he asked to see the back of the photo is that there can be dating clues on the reverse. It is not so much that there may be writing on the back though of course it would be nice if there was.

If you can ask the owner of the photo to supply a scan of the reverse including all edges, I'm sure Jim will give his expert opinion. :)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
Paul, as Jim is not logged in at the moment, I will try to answer your question.

The reason he asked to see the back of the photo is that there can be dating clues on the reverse. It is not so much that there may be writing on the back though of course it would be nice if there was.

If you can ask the owner of the photo to supply a scan of the reverse including all edges, Jim will give his expert opinion. :)
Thanks Ruskie, will try and get a copy of the back of the photo. Cheers, Paul

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 September 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who replied. Another photograph has been found and sent to me and it is father and son (and grandson). As can be seen the grandfather in the photo (my G. Grandfather) is the same photo as the one I sent (enlarged). The child in the photo was born in 1906 so dates the  photographs as 1906/7. Another mystery sorted out, onto the next one!!!
Thanks, Paul