Author Topic: WDYTYA Series 14 #4 Adil Ray  (Read 3411 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Series 14 #4 Adil Ray
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 August 17 23:56 BST (UK) »
I just found this .... its several pages, so probably won't appeal to most RC-ers, but only to those old Africa hands/old ex-pats of which there are several on RootsChat !

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00080855/00069/119   and the next several pages ....

Its the info Adil Ray found in the Uganda Journal from 1960.
I loved reading the article in Uganda Journal, although I didn't know exactly that period I did have great deal of pleasure visulisingbparts of Africa that I hold dear to my heart.
Times don't change and african definitely haven't. I have very fond memories of Ethiopia and Kenya from mid 1950's - late -960's.
I very much enjoyed this episode with Adil Ray and although not the conventional style it was a pleasure to see him soak up and appreciate and empathise with his African roots.
My heart will always belong to that dark continent but my family are here in UK!
I'm sure other African old hands will enjoy the article.
Thanks Lydart.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 08:58 BST (UK) »
"My heart will always belong to that dark continent but my family are here in UK!"

I couldn't have said it better myself !     My thoughts today are in Kenya, where they are having the elections.    Fingers crossed and double crossed there is no violence or riotous aftermath .......
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
Me to Lydart- it's such a wonderful country that needs lots of TLC, just a pity that those at the top can be so vicious to their fellow countrymen.

All to gain the power and wealth for themselves when the countries need it so desperately for all the population.

Like you I shall be hoping that it all runs smoothly and that no incidents occur.

Africa never seems to have changed over the centuries and the people are still so very tribal.But  It's hard not to be touched by its beauty and that certain something that continually draws you back.

Happy days
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
Agree with all of the thoughts on Kenya. Today is a very worrying day and the key will be how the losing candidate responds. Both have made appeals for peace but their henchmen are less likely to say the same.
A few years dated now, but Michaela Wrong's book, Our Time to Eat, is well worth a read (and of course has been hard to obtain in Kenya).
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Barnes612

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 August 17 18:06 BST (UK) »

I think you're thinking of WDYTYA? S02 E06 - Gurinder Chadha, originally broadcast on 15 Feb 2006, see the link below for more where it says, "According to a family rumour, Lakha had at one stage lived with an African woman, and had fathered two children with her...":-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/whodoyouthinkyouare/past-stories/gurinder-chadha.shtml

Blue

That's the one - thank you!

"At the end of the nineteenth century, Britain took control of Kenya and set about developing the new colony using cheap labour from other, more established regions of the British Empire, such as India. Bhajan's father Bishen and two of his brothers were among the first to make the move."

I guess after 11 years they can do another India to Kenya to UK story!
WARBURTON, WOODS, BARNES, HAWORTH: Haslingden, Lancashire
GIBBONS: Oving, Sussex
OAKLEY: Bunbury, Cheshire
LANKENAU: Vegesack, Bremen

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 August 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
This might be of slight interest ... its a photo I took a couple of years ago of the mosque Adils grandfather funded in Kisumu, in (I think) Nyerere Road. 

(Have adjusted photo size !!)
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
 I usually find something of interest in each episode but I'm still waiting with anticipation an episode where someone has Irish ancestry with no indication on any census where their parish and county of origin is in Ireland.....just that painful word....Ireland! - staring back at you from the page like a challenge ;D

I think I've seen most episodes but if there has ever been one with a successful conclusion to this particular problem I want, no NEED  :) to see it ;D

it's the guests who stay stoic through most of the program and then finally get upset that leave the most impression I find.

I actually rather like the episodes with different cultures,
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire