Author Topic: Scanning and editing photos win10  (Read 715 times)

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Scanning and editing photos win10
« on: Friday 28 July 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
I have some photos I want to scan.   To make things faster I usually put 4 or so on the scanner and then copy and crop them to individual photos.    I can't see how to do this with windows 10.   

I have an HP all in one and downloaded their app - scan and capture.    'Photographs' on win10 doesn't seem to easily do what I want.  I used to use picassa on the old laptop.   

Has anyone any ideas for what I can download and use?    I have to give the photos back to the owner soon.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Scanning and editing photos win10
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 July 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I was a bit too soon asking the question.   

Must have been tired last night, as just now I see that the installed photos app on windows 10 will do what I want.     Just tried a test scan of 5 on one page photos. 
Can't see that it will import from the printer/scanner but I can do that with hp scan and capture.

Panic over.   Next question is where do I store them offline?   I really will have to get to grips with 'the cloud' I think.   It all takes so long!
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Scanning and editing photos win10
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 17 19:34 BST (UK) »

Panic over.   Next question is where do I store them offline?   I really will have to get to grips with 'the cloud' I think.   It all takes so long!

Same place as before Win 10!  You don't have to use the "cloud" if you don't want to.

A copy on your hard drive, a copy on a disc, memory stick or external hard drive. The choic is yours.

As you are not the "owner" of the original photo's I hope you have scanned at a high resolution.   One good reason to scan each photo one by one and crop in the preview window before saving is to preserve the resolution. If you ever need to print off a large copy or want to blow it up on your pic to view it, a high resolution will keep the detail without pixelation.  I know this is laborious but worth it in the long run.

I had a very small photo,  c1940, of my husband's grandfather with his sister in law in a garden.  My own sister in law had, what I thought, the same photo but I scanned it anyway. When I blew it up, I realised it was a "different" sister wearing a very similar dress with a small difference.  So glad I did took a little extra time and scanned the second photo.

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.