Author Topic: Black Prince Row  (Read 2273 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Black Prince Row
« on: Friday 28 July 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

Does anyone please know where exactly this street would be now?
One of my possible ancestor's brothers, John Spooner, who was a Linen Draper had his first child baptised in the parish of Saint Mary Newington Surrey, on the 12th of August 1818.
Her name was Maria Sarah Spooner. The abode was put down in the register as: "Black Prince Row".

Any information would be gratefully accepted.  :) ;)

Thank you very much.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Black Prince Row
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 July 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
Lockie's Topography of London 1813 reads ...

Black Prince Row, Walworth - a few houses on the left from Elephant & Castle.

Hope this helps.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 July 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
Lockie's Topography of London 1813 reads ...

Black Prince Row, Walworth - a few houses on the left from Elephant & Castle.

Hope this helps.

Yes. Thank you very much.  :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 July 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
If it is of any interest. Called Bl. Prince Ct. on this map, just to the south of Elephant & Castle http://users.bathspa.ac.uk/greenwood/map_g6o.html

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 July 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
If it is of any interest. Called Bl. Prince Ct. on this map, just to the south of Elephant & Castle http://users.bathspa.ac.uk/greenwood/map_g6o.html

Stan
Much obliged, thankyou.

When John Spooner's next Daughter, Agnes, was baptised on the 15th of Dec 1819, in the parish of Christ Church, Surrey, his abode was put down as: "Hatfield Street". Do you have any idea where this could have been please?  :) ;)

Thanks.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 July 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Lockie again reads ...

Hatfield Street, Stamford St - 3rd street from Blackfriars Rd.

Stamford St, Blackfriars Road - 2nd on the right from the bridge.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 July 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hatfield Street, Stamford St on the map at http://users.bathspa.ac.uk/greenwood/map_e6o.html

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hatfield Street is still there, now known as Hatfields (London SE1, on a modern map).

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 July 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again everyone.
This John Spooner was born in Towcester, Northamptonshire, baptised around 1792. He was the son of a John Spooner, and Sarah Kingston. He married Maria Sage at Christchurch, Surrey, on the 29th of October 1817, by Licence. John became a School Master, sometime before 1841: I know this because his Daughter Agnes Spooner, married Henry Allen, at the parish Church of St Giles, Camberwell, on the 7th of February 1841, and John's profession was down as: "School Master". I found John at Camberwell as: "School Master", with a Maria, in the 1841 Census.
His oldest Daughter Maria Sarah, married someone with the surname of Linton, in 1836. Both John Spooner, and Maria Linton were Witnesses to Agnes Spooner's marriage in 1841.
John Spooner, and Maria, were at St Mary Newington, Lambeth, in the 1851 Census.
In the 1871 Census John Spooner: "Retired School Master" is at Camberwell, Lambeth, with his Wife Maria. John Spooner died in 1873, in Camberwell.

I decided to find out about this John Spooner, because I know for a fact that one of my 5x Great Grandad's, William Spooner, was a Linen Draper. And from the: "Old Bailey Online Proceedings" dated Dec 1816, he had a Brother called John who was: "Officiating in his shop for him, on the 6th of November": So from this, it may have been possible that John Spooner could also have been a Linen Draper. William Spooner's shop was at Chiswell Street, Finsbury.
In the 1841 Census, my William Spooner was living at Clerkenwell, and was a: "Commission Agent". I know from this Census, that he was not born in Middlesex. William Spooner died on February the 17th 1845, at 27, Cheapside, London. His age was put down as 58.
Because William Spooner died before the 1851 Census, I decided to look for William Spooner's who were born around the same time as mine: If I found them in that 1851 Census, I could obviously eliminate them as being my William Spooner. I also went on "Freereg" and looked up William Spooner's born around those years, and who also had a Brother called John.
The only one that would fit was William Spooner, baptised 24 Aug 1787, in Towcester. He is also the only one I know, whose Brother became a Linen Draper. The only problem is, the 1871 Census, is the only one that fits well with John's age. He is down as: "Retired School Master". But on all of these Census returns, he is with his Wife Maria. And on all of the other Census returns, his occupation is down as: "School Master". On the 1861 Census, he appears to have been transcribed as: "John Spooneck", or something like that.
Also, John Spooner, baptised 1792, in Towcester, had a Sister called Agnes, baptised in 1793: This was the name of John Spooner's second Daughter.
John's first Daughter was baptised Maria Sarah: Sarah was his Mother's name.

I have also looked on these old maps, to find how close John's abode would have been to William's address in Chiswell Street, Finsbury, just next to Finsbury Square. And the distance is not much more than 1.5 - 2 miles: He only had to go across Blackfriars Bridge, then down a few other streets, on the other side of the water, and he was there.  :) ;)