Author Topic: McELROY/McILROYs of County Tyrone  (Read 1724 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McELROY/McILROYs of County Tyrone
« on: Friday 28 July 17 12:40 BST (UK) »
I am looking to connect with other researchers who are interested in this family.

My 4x great grandparents were Andrew McElroy and Martha/Matilda Donaghey who were married on 22 Apr 1834 in the parish of Ardboe.

I have records of the following children;

--------------------------------------------

Margaret McElroy, baptised 28 Jul 1839 in Ardboe.

Felix McIlroy, my great-great-great grandfather, born around 1841 in Ardboe (no baptism found). Married Elizabeth McMahon, daughter of Peter McMahon and Helen Donnelly, on 10 Feb 1862 in Moneymore, County Londonderry. The family emigrated to Glasgow, Scotland and Felix died there in 1879.

Matilda McElroy, baptised 09 May 1842 in Ardboe. Married Thompson Buchanan on 03 Jul 1863 in Burt, County Donegal.

Bernard McElroy, baptised 07 Aug 1845 in Ardboe.

--------------------------------------------

I'm assuming that there were more children that I haven't found yet.

I know from Felix McIlroy's poor law application in Scotland that Andrew and Martha had both died before 1878, but don't have burial records for them.

If anyone has advice on how to get more information, or suspects a family connection, I would be interested in hearing from you.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline glind

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McELROY/McILROYs of County Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 16:15 GMT (UK) »
My name is George and I live in the United States.  I have been researching my Irish roots in Ardboe for a while. My McElroy relative is my 2nd great grandmother Bridget McElroy of Ardboe.  I believe she was born around 1850 and died in 1921.  I believe that she may have been born illegitimate to William McElroy and Ann Devlin in Killycanavan, Ardboe but I have no proof of this.  Bridget was deaf and mute and later lived in Cluntoe(Quinn).  She was known locally as "the dummy" McElroy. She herself had an illegitimate son who was my great grandfather Patrick O'Neill.  He moved to Glasgow Scotland probably in the 1890s.  There are not that many McElroys in that area so we may be related. It is just that this time period is not that well documented.  I do have a spreadsheet of baptisms in Ardboe from the early 1800s on and there is no more info on your relatives than you have listed.  Please let me know if you have any knowlege of Bridget McElroy.
Thanks,
George