Author Topic: RAF Service Policeman What did they do??  (Read 996 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF Service Policeman What did they do??
« on: Friday 28 July 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have a relative who served for the duration of WW2 as a service policeman. The majority of his time after recruitment was spent at RAF Cranwell but he had spells at Police HQ Uxbridge and Police HQ Burnham . He started as an Aircraftsman 1st class and ended up as a Flight Sergeant.
Can anyone confirm what the RAF SP did? Would it just be the same as what the ordinary police force did but just in relation to service personnel e.g. drunkenness, assaults etc.
I have his service record which is pretty sparse but writing to the Air Historical Branch (RAF) did give me some additional answers.
If anyone can help it would be great. Also can anyone tell me how on enlistment he would have been guided towards the Service Police.
Regards
KK

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Service Policeman What did they do??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 July 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
My father in law was also in RAFP during WW2

He was stationed in Italy and my understanding of  his role was the policing and security of all RAF personnel, although I'm not exactly certain of what this entailed.

Since 2008, my husband has intended to obtain his father's Military Record but, has never got around to it because..... he doesn't know where he filed his father's death certificate!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 17 09:15 BST (UK) »
Potted history here http://royalairforcepolice100years.weebly.com/  (they were/are nicknamed Snowdrops because of the white cap covers (there were other unpublishable names!).

While this link is the present day, I include it to show the breadth of activity undertaken by them (and the other service police) http://forcespublishing.co.uk/pages/raf_publications_pages/raf_police.html. and to show there  is/was a bit more to it than throwing drunks in the nick which is the context most other RAF men saw them in.

When registering began at the outbreak of war, he could express a preference.  Having been accepted by the RAF he may well simply have volunteered for the RAFP.

anne p - it would only cost £9.25 to get another death cert.

maxD

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
RAF police - known as Snowdrops as said above due to white top of hats - military police known as redcaps, I remember John Thaw in the series called Redcaps in 1960s.

RAF police remit was to investigate any crime on the camp, keep personnel in order (drunks would come under this) and the security of the camp. Dogs are used now to help secure the perimeter of the camps I don't know about during WW2. Their rolls are very similar to the civvy police just restricted in their area.

They would have jurisdiction over service personnel off the camp. e.g service personnel in the local pub fighting would be rounded up by the snowdrops taken to camp and charged - service personnel have to obey 2 laws - service and civilian.

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks for your input. Max, those links are great. As this guy didn't serve abroad would he still get medals.
Pam

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 July 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
He would qualify for the War Medal (service anywhere over 28 days) and,the Defence Medal. He would have had to apply for them, many didn't bother.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thought you might like to see what the military police can do so you'll see how close they are to the civvy police.
 :)

http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/08/01/british-soldier-arrested-hit-run-killed-comrade/
GEDmatch M157477