Author Topic: Lock or Smith?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lock or Smith?
« on: Friday 28 July 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Lock family and come across a bit of an enigma, I'm hoping some kind person can help me solve.
Harold Lock born 23/4/1893 Bodorgan Anglesey married 12/3/1913 Valley Anglesey to Louie Smith born 30/5/1897 Shropshire. This is verified by the marriage index but on Harold's Army records it states Christian and surname of woman to whom married is Louie Lock spinster. They had two daughters Vera lock born 1914 Hawarden and Rosetta(Rita) Lock born 1915 St Asaph, but on the birth index it states mother's maiden surname is Lock.
If I am to research Louie's family do I look for Lock or Smith  ???

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lock or Smith?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 July 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
This is verified by the marriage index

Do you mean the marriage certificate?  What was Louie's fathers name on the marriage cert?

Louie Smith born 30/5/1897 Shropshire

If that was her birthdate and they married 12.3.1913 - then she was only 15yrs old at that time

There is no 1897 birth for a Louie Smith but freebmd has 2 entries in 1895 for Louisa Smith

Where did you get all the dates from?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Carol  :)

I haven't got the marriage certificate, I got the information for that from Harold's Army records.

I got Louie's birth date from the Death Index, she died 1981 age 84 Colwyn, Clwyd.

Regarding Louie's age being 15 years at marriage, I believe that was acceptable with the travelling

people with parents consent, but they could also have lied and said she was older.

Harold, Vera & Rosetta are on the 1939 register, unfortunately they appear to have blocked Louie's

record, so I can't verify her DOB from that.

You could be right about her first name being registered as Louisa as registrars didn't always get it right.

Thanks again for your help.

Ellen

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 July 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Harold Lock born 23/4/1893 Bodorgan Anglesey

No birth reg on freebmd and his death reg shows 23.4.1894

Can't see a 1901 entry for him or a 1911 in either England or Wales
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
Carol I couldn't find Harold & family on the 1901 Census, also couldn't find his birth Reg either. He was living in a caravan in Holyhead 1911 with parents John & Eliza and states DOB 1893 Anglesey.
The DOB I was going by was from the 1939 Register and as you say is a year out on the Death reg.
To make things worse on his Army record it states DOB May 1892  ???

Offline Tiz81

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 18 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Louie was a Lock before marrying Harold. Her father was Duval lock and mother carnation Boswell. I believe that Louie used the name Smith to save any question. What with Harold and her both having the same surname. Hope this helps