Author Topic: american civil war  (Read 264 times)

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
american civil war
« on: Friday 28 July 17 16:52 BST (UK) »
I have seen a photo of  one of my ancestors who was born in New York  but came to  Australia,
in a US Army uniform. The photo was taken in 1862. By this time he was already a British
subject. Did he have to be a US citizen to serve in the US army at the time?  My  limited knowledge
of the Civil War  says he did not. Can someone  tell me if i right or wrong?
                                                                                                         Thanks
                                                                                                                      pwh

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MB 1944
    • View Profile
Re: american civil war
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 July 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
There were, of course, two armies  -  the Union Army [the northern states] and the Confederate Army [the southern states].  Neither one demanded citizenship to 'volunteer' for service.  Many foreign immigrants and outright foreigners served on both sides, but more for the Union than the Confederacy.

Edited to add - since he was born in the United States, he would have been considered a US citizen even before the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: american civil war
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 17 06:19 BST (UK) »
erato
             It seems that he would have had dual British and American  citizenship. Thanks
for clearing that up.
                                        pwh