Author Topic: East/Peadle family of Northiam/Rye in Sussex in 1600s  (Read 2177 times)

Offline LindseyB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: East/Peadle family of Northiam/Rye in Sussex in 1600s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 July 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you artifis!

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 July 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
I've checked on FamilySearch and SFHG's transcriptions and they differ to what jonw65 found in the BTs regarding the Mary East burial in 1638. 

FamilySearch transcribes the records as Mary East buried 24 Nov 1638 at Northiam d/o William & Allice East.

SFHG transcribes the record as Mary East d/o William and Allice w William - (BT)  Make what you will of that transcription!  I wonder if the 'w' between Allice and William is meant to indicate that Allice was the wife of William?  Certainly not his widow as they have the subsequent Mary.

It makes sense of the baptisms of the two later Marys if the above burial is that of the Mary baptised in 1632.

I wonder if some of the transcriptions of the Mary's baptism in 1625 has miss-transcribed Maria as Mary - FamilySearch has the name as Maria.  Has some transcriber either miss-read the name or thought 'helpfully' that Maria was actually Mary whereas it seems to me to be a different person.   ???

Offline LindseyB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 July 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks again artifis.

When I posted a couple of days ago I wasn't very hopeful that much would be found due to the date but it's great that these records have survived.

:)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 July 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Artifis.
It certainly makes sense if Mary buried 1638 was daughter of William + Alice, rather than wife. Maybe an error in the BT?
And the 1625-6 Northiam BT does say Mary the Daughter of William East was baptized 20 November

What a pity we cannot still see the parish register online!
John

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 July 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
Possibly muddying the waters, both FamilySearch and A*****ry have the burial of a Maria East d/o Gabriel East on 22 April 1640 but unfortunately neither gives a location.  SFHG doesn't have the burial either.

jonw65 - I've found in the past that the BTs do contain errors which have emanated from the poor record keeping/writing of the incumbent.  I had a classic example where the incumbent's writing deteriorated over a couple of years to get to be extremely shaky in the parish records, almost undecipherable, but in the BTs was very steady and clear.  Further checking back to when the incumbent's writing was OK indicated that the later BTs were completed by someone else.  That took a researcher I'd hired a bit of trouble to unravel!   :)

Yes shame we can't view the originals of either the parish records or BTs on line - yet.

Offline LindseyB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 July 17 16:10 BST (UK) »
My feeling is that Maria was mistranscribed as Mary, then the first Mary, b1631 died in 1632.  Another daughter, called Mary was born in 1640.

My hunch is that the Maria who died in 1640, daughter of Gabriel is probably Gulielmi and mistranscribed but with no place of burial I can't be certain.

Thomas being baptised and buried on the same day is too far off the mark I think so yet another error.

... But, great work.  Thanks.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 July 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't necessarily discount the baptism and burial on the same day, if the child was born extremely poorly then he could have been baptised immediately after whilst he still lived then buried later in the day or of course he could have caught a highly contagious illness, was baptised then buried asap after death to stop spread of the disease. 

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 July 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
There was something nagging at me regarding baptism and burial on the same day and I checked back over my records and about six or seven years ago I was given scanned copies of a family bible from my wife's family, actually a sibling of her direct ancestors so I didn't take too much notice at the time.  The chap keeping the records in the bible noted the date and time of birth of each child (not only the date but also the time of his wedding) and for the children who died he recorded the date, time to the second and heartrending comments such as "he died without a struggle or complaint".  There was one child born early in the morning - recorded as a long and awful birth.  The child was baptised at home less than an hour after birth, died shortly after and was buried late in the afternoon.  I can't find the actual record at the moment but I seem to remember he recorded something to the effect that the child scarcely breathed whilst it lived.  Obviously the parish incumbent was on hand to help the family.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 July 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
I thought I'd see if there as any baptism for Alice Sharp at Northiam as she is your greatx8 grandmother.  There isn't any of SFHG but there are two for Alicia on FamilySearch:

Alicia Sharp 10 Sep 1599 d/o Edwardi

Alicia Sharp 23 Mar 1599 d/o Jacobi

I wonder if the BT's for Alice's marriage give any details as to her father?  Sorry I don't have access to those.